Chapter 23

Esmeray couldn't help but feel anxious.

They heard nothing of the Originals for a few days. Surely, something was going on. Esmeray should have gone into heat in that time, but she didn't, because she was too worried. Alaric had been attacked the night they'd been at dinner, and with no news from Klaus, she wondered if perhaps his siblings had all managed to kill each other.

Elena seemed to be on edge, too, because she had invited Damon, Stefan, and Esmeray to her house one morning for an apparently essential conversation.

"What's the 'important' thing we needed to talk about?" asked Damon as Elena wiped down the table, presumably after having breakfast.

"Rebekah attacked me last night," said Elena. "I admit, I expected it to have happened sooner, given the fact you all woke them up four days ago, but the point is, Elijah saved me, and told me that it was their mother, Esther, who was sealed in that coffin."

Esmeray said nothing, because she had known this, and hadn't told them, but the Salvatore brothers each had a comment to make.

"As in the Original Witch?" asked Stefan.

"How is she even alive?" said Damon in disbelief. "I thought her hybrid freak show of a son ripped her heart out a thousand years ago."

"I don't know," said Elena, shrugging. "I'm guessing she has a couple connections in the witching community. Elijah said that she wants to live in peace with her family, including Klaus."

"She was supposed to be the weapon to help us kill Klaus," said Stefan.

"Well, not anymore... at least not according to Elijah," Elena replied.

"That coffin was the only thing stopping Klaus from tearing us to shreds!"

"Anyone else feeling a little used right now?" said Damon with a grimace. "The runes weren't useful, Klaus ended up killing Mikael, and now Mama Original is going to be nice to him after he killed her?"

"Look," said Elena, drawing their attention back to her. "Elijah promised me that his family wouldn't hurt any of us." The doorbell rang, and Elena said, "I believe him," before going to open it. There was no one there, but Elena knelt down and picked up something from the floor. An envelope was in her hand as she closed the door. It bore her name in an ornately-handwritten font.

"What is that?" said Damon.

Elena shook her head and tore it open, revealing a card. "It's an invitation," she said before reading it aloud. "'Please join the Mikaelson Family, this evening at seven o'clock for dancing, cocktails and celebration.'"

"Who the hell are the Mikaelsons?" said Stefan.

"The Original Family," murmured Esmeray, making Damon snort as Elena turned over her card. "It's not bad enough they're moving into town, now they want a housewarming gift?"

"Wait, there's a note on the back," she said, reading out, "'Elena, I think it's time that we finally meet, Esther.'"

There was a moment where they all stared at each other in disbelief, not knowing how to react to this. Elena blinked several times before beginning to walk back to the kitchen, sealing the envelope to the best of her abilities. "Well, I should start picking a dress to wear."

"Ha!" said Damon as he, Stefan, and Esmeray followed Elena back. "Very funny, not happening."

"Why not?" said Esmeray, confused. "I would think she isn't in danger, considering Esther has been around for days and hasn't done anything."

"Exactly. If Esther wants to talk to me, maybe I should find out why," reasoned Elena, leaning back onto the table.

"Well, that's a dumb idea," countered Damon. "She already tried to kill you once, or did you forget?"