Chapter 32

"Yes, love, I would."

He cast a smug look to the Salvatore brothers as she walked off the porch and into the grass outside, feeling her body being warmed by the sun. Klaus instantly took her hand, entering her mind.

They were now in the Mikaelson Mansion, completely alone. "I didn't wish to be overheard," he told her seriously. He looked down shamefully, and she cupped his face, realizing what he was thinking.

"Don't," she said sternly. "Klaus, this isn't your fault. Ignore what Damon said."

"It is my fault," he insisted. "You asked me to peruse through your mind and rather than giving it another go or being more attentive, I got distracted and I've only tried to complicate matters between us. Had she killed you, it would have been my fault and my fault alone. I didn't protect you, love, and I should have. I can't claim to adore you while simultaneously being careless and allowing a woman with a psychotic vendetta against me to harm you."

Esmeray sighed. "She's gone now. I feel nothing of her influence, and I didn't let myself wake up until I knew all my magic was my own. She can't corrupt me anymore. I'll get my ritual done and no one will be able to get in my head."

"We have to leave, quickly," he told her. "Rebekah refused to wait for us. We just need a little bit of Elena's blood before we abandon this miserable town."

"I want to help put Alaric down," said Esmeray. "Bonnie mentioned something about desiccating him the way her mother did to Mikael. She and I, together, can manage that."

At this, Klaus brought them out of her mind and bit into his wrist, handing it to her in order to give her strength. She drank, but in the meantime, her ears perked up at the sound of conversation inside the house.

"Elena's not in there," said Esmeray with a frown.

It seemed Stefan had heard her, because he opened the door and looked out at the two hybrids. "Elena's not here," he confirmed, stepping outside. "Alaric has her and Caroline and he's gonna kill them both unless you turn yourself over to him."

Klaus let out a dry laugh. "Now, I know you're not asking me to walk into a certain death."

"I really wish we could," Stefan replied bluntly. "But unfortunately, if Alaric kills you, there's a one in four chance that we die too."

"I already told you all," snapped Esmeray impatiently, "you're all from his sireline. I don't know why you think I'm lying to you."

"Fine," said Damon from behind him. "Fine, Esme, we're from his sireline. Happy?"

She gave him a cheeky smile. "No." She looked back up at the vampires. "So? Any brilliant ideas on how to execute this?"

"Bonnie is trying to get Abby here as soon as possible," said Stefan. "You'll likely be with her."

"How about this," suggested Klaus. "How about Damon sneaks in and distracts Alaric, while Stefan grabs Elena and carries her to safety?"

Damon scoffed. "Huh, that's a great idea. What's to stop me from getting killed instantly?"

Klaus had on a wicked grin, his inner wolf liking the idea of Damon not being around, because it meant he and Esmeray could never be a 'thing' again. "Nothing."

"We have to save Caroline too," sighed Esmeray. "Even if I'm not too happy with her."

Bonnie walked out beside them, holding up her phone. "My mom is on her way... or so she says. She's going to give me the desiccation spell she used on Mikael." She looked around at the group. "But even with Esmeray and I working on the spell, we'll need a lot of vampire muscle to take him down. Including yours."