Chapter 25

Klaus would have liked to dagger his siblings again.

He had led Esmeray to her room, first, since he'd seen the bag she had with her. His mother hadn't been expecting her this soon, so she likely wasn't ready for whatever scheme she had cooking up. Thus, he had brought her into the lounge where his siblings were gathered together after breakfast.

He noticed instantly that absolutely all of them fixated their eyes on her. She hadn't picked up on the meaning behind each stare, but Klaus certainly had.

Finn was surprised to see her there. Was it because he did find her attractive, or was it because he was a simpering fool that wanted to be the favorite child? Klaus watched his eldest brother get up to greet the younger hybrid, taking her hand and kissing it before heading upstairs, likely to inform Esther of her arrival.

Klaus wasn't surprised to see Kol was staring at her with a hunger that no one could mistake as anything other than lust. He knew Kol was attracted mostly to witches, and granted how beautiful Esmeray was, the Original hybrid knew precisely what his younger brother was imagining when he looked at the girl, who averted her gaze awkwardly when she realized that Kol was looking at her so intently. Klaus definitely would have liked to shove a dagger into his chest.

Elijah had only directed a cordial smile to Esmeray, which she reciprocated as Klaus brought her to sit closer to Rebekah, who for some reason, almost seemed to be glaring at her.

"Good to see you," said Esmeray shyly, looking at the youngest Original who, hours ago, had been whispering dirty things in her ear and making her quiver and say humiliating things all for gratification.

"Hang on a moment," said Kol, a very mischievous look on his face. Rebekah shot him a warning look, but he didn't relent. "Ah... but of course."

"Shut the bloody hell up," snapped Rebekah.

Both Elijah and Klaus seemed confused as to what he was talking about. Kol started to laugh. "How isn't she dead, Bex?"

Esmeray felt a panic rising in her chest as Rebekah sneered at her brother. "Watch your tongue, Kol, or I'll rip it out."

Elijah held his hand up. "What, pray tell, is this all about?"

"They slept together," said Kol, gesturing to Rebekah and Esmeray. "Or were you two too busy thinking of your little hybrid plaything in that dress last night to realize how her heartbeat changed when she sat with Rebekah?"

Klaus's jaw twitched, and he looked at his sister, who was mortified. "It didn't mean anything, Nik," she said as Esmeray covered her face, the entire house starting to shake, because she thought that Klaus was going to be mad at her. He wasn't in the slightest— he was mad at Rebekah.

"Oi, make her stop, it's not going to be as funny when the walls explode," said Kol a bit more sternly when he realized that Esmeray was the one causing all the objects to rattle over where they were placed.

"This wouldn't even be happening if you kept your fat mouth shut!" hissed Rebekah, trying to soothe Esmeray. "Hey, you don't have to feel overwhelmed..."

But Esmeray, to their surprise, had started to cry. She hadn't let her emotions out this way in a long time, and after the conversation with Damon that brought her here, the anxiety at her impending meeting with Esther, and the worry that Klaus would hate her, she just needed some release.

The four Originals went silent, hearing her sniffling and trying to muffle the sound of her sobs. The house was still shaking, and one of the vases off to the side shattered as the flowers within it wilted, making her get up quickly and head to the door, but she bumped into someone, and when she uncovered her eyes, she saw Esther, who with a simple wave of her hands, stopped the shaking.