Chapter 64

On the way there, Esmeray had to make sure Klaus kept his cool.

"There is one particular trial that we have to discuss," she said, wringing her hands together. "You're not going to like it, but I assure you, it will be okay."

He frowned, but kept his eyes on the road. "What is it, love?"

"Most of it is easy stuff relating to saying certain words and having faith in the ritual. But one is the Rite of Divulgement. I already spoke to Hayley about it. She's on board with it. It involves the pair smoking the root of the blue calamus flower and telling their secrets to one another. All secrets. It needs to be done to unite them and spread the blessing throughout the Pack."

Klaus already didn't like the sound of this. "Continue..."

"Hayley will need to tell Jackson that Hope is alive."

He gripped the steering wheel so hard, she was worried the car would break down. "No."

"Klaus, his grandmother won't know, just him. No one else needs to find out about it. I can put a spell to ensure he won't tell. Even without a spell, he's completely trustworthy, and he's not going to say anything to anyone."

"You would be in the Bayou where anyone could hear you!"

"I can put up a Silencing Spell."

"And if he goes on to spill our family secrets, what then? He is not a Mikaelson!"

"Neither am I, and you all trusted me."

He hesitated. "It... it was different."

"It was different why? Because we had feelings for each other and I'd already been there through the majority of the pregnancy? Jackson protected Hayley a lot while she was pregnant. He wanted to make the Bayou a safe place for Hope. He will continue to do the same if he knows she's alive. I know I have no right to demand that you be okay with this, but I am telling you that I am going to monitor the situation and make sure no one else finds out about it. The wolves can be trusted."

"And if the wolves break that trust? What then?"

"They're Hope's family. She's part Crescent and part North East Atlantic. Not to mention she's a baby. They will not break that trust when an innocent child can get hurt."

"And if they break that trust in order to harm me?"

"If they wanted to harm you, I'd be dead, Klaus, because everyone knows that I'm dating you, and even then, they respected me. You know why? No matter what they feel for you, they know I'm my own person. Even if Hope is your daughter, they will remember what Hayley has done to help them, and they will protect her because of that. If this wedding doesn't happen, Hope won't be able to come back."

"Will this even guarantee you full control over your powers?"

"No. I don't know. It could, or it couldn't. It's never been done before, so it's a long shot, but I am willing to take that risk. Because even if it doesn't work for me, it will work for the other wolves who acknowledged me as their Queen, and they will feel indebted to Hayley."

Klaus ran his hand anxiously through his hair. "I don't like this, love. I don't like this one bit. I cannot trust them. I couldn't even trust my own father..."

"Do you trust me, Klaus?"

"Of course I trust you, love, why would you even ask that?"

"Do you trust Hayley?"

"I... I do. But less than I trust you."

"Hayley and I both trust Jackson. And I'm promising you I'm going to work my magic to keep him from revealing anything about Hope."