Chapter 84

At least the tea worked.

It was absolutely disgusting, but insanely effective.

"I never want to drink that again," said Esmeray, gagging after forcing herself to down the entire teacup.

"Let's hope you don't have to," said Freya, waving her hand over her face. "I don't sense the magic inside of you anymore. The purification was successful."

"Cool," Esmeray told her, getting to her feet. "What's next on the agenda?"

"Laying low, probably," suggested Freya. She pulled out a large, ornate knife. "Keelin and I made this yesterday. A weapon that will kill Marcel. Hayley and Elijah are taking Hope with Mary, out into the Bayou. The rest of us ought to stay here."

"Nonsense!" said Klaus joyfully. "This is the perfect time to host a party."

Esmeray and Freya looked at him, each raising their brows. "This is the time?"

Klaus smirked and put his arm around his fiancée. "Yes, it is. Elijah will not remain in the Bayou, that crone, Mary, despises vampires. I say we call a truce with Marcel, without telling him that we have this fancy little dagger at our disposal."

"Why would he come and help?" asked Esmeray. "If he doesn't know about the dagger, he won't want to help us."

"Ah, my little werewitch, that's where it gets interesting. You see, Marcel will benefit if we rid ourselves of this Hollow. If he agrees to my plan, invitations will be sent out. We will claim to be celebrating a truce, co-hosting. New Orleans' most influential creatures will be in attendance, and while they despise me, they adore Marcel. Additionally, if Marcel is there, Vincent Griffith will likely elect to join us. Together, we can weed out those in league with the Hollow. I expect they will be in attendance."

Esmeray was impressed. "Good plan, if Marcel agrees. I suggest you go talk to him about it before you start getting the servants to bring decorations in, though. What do you need from us?"

"Hold on."

They turned to see Hayley and Elijah were back.

"Hope's with Mary," said Hayley, looking slightly shaken. "Freya, I need your help with something."

"And I wish to know why I overheard that Niklaus Mikaelson is ordering a block of ice to be delivered here, posthaste," said Elijah, making Esmeray giggle.

"I'll tell you of my idea, brother," said Klaus, kissing Esmeray on the cheek. "The block of ice is for a sculpture I intend to create. The evening must be as... extravagant as possible." He put his hand under Esmeray's chin, tilting her head up to face him. "I need you to convince Vincent Griffith to attend. Additionally, I would like for you to find out all you can about the Hollow without being here tonight. I will not let that vile harpy get its hands on you again. When you have the resources you need, go with Mary and Hope. You and my daughter will be safest there."

Esmeray pouted. "So you're not going to let me come to the party?"

"Considering the prospect of bloodshed... I'd rather you reside somewhere better. You and Hope are all that matters to me. The Bayou is that better place."

"Alright," she sighed, tiptoeing to kiss him again. "Go talk to Marcel before you start your ice sculpture."

Once she arrived at Vincent's apartment complex, she approached his door, able to hear him inside, apparently dictating to a tape recorder. "1953, cluster of violent rituals in four different locations, all in the span of two months. Similarity of the rituals, to me, suggests a possible connection to the Hollow. 1992, more violent clusters, this time in Algiers, Tremé, the Bayou, and Marigny. Again, four different locations. Why is it always four locations?"