Chapter 74

Hayley witnessed a whole new Esmeray.

It was terrifying. She knew Esmeray could fight. She knew Esmeray could kill, and had killed. But this was another level of violence that the hybrid had never seen on the werewitch, who was usually so gentle with everyone.

Esmeray marched right through the lobby of the building, swiping her hand out and decapitating the receptionist when she tried to stop them. She slammed her thumb against the elevator buttons and stood, arms crossed, tapping her foot in annoyance as they rode up. Hayley would be waiting in the elevator while Esmeray was the first to confront Aurora. They were thankful that Esmeray was going to be able to get past the threshold without a problem.

"What are you doing?" Esmeray heard Klaus asking just before they got to the right floor.

"I'm gonna drive this into my heart, die, and be reborn," said Aurora. "And then, with the air of my new-found power... I'm going to silence you permanently."

Great, it was good to know that she had the stupid serum in her system, otherwise, she wouldn't be saying shit like that.

The elevator dinged as they got to the right floor, and Esmeray walked out into the hall, able to smell which one was the right room, judging by the fact that blood wouldn't be spilling out anywhere else. She held her hand up, and the doors exploded, shards of wood splitting off and embedding into the walls, away from Klaus and Aurora.

"Look at you!" said Aurora, a glint in her eyes as she giggled and clapped her hands. "Ooh, they told me you were strong. Come to kill me?"

"No, actually, not yet," she said, smirking at her. "What I'm going to do..." she started walking toward the door, "is get that serum out of you, make sure it burns, and then, I'm going to find Tristan, and make you watch as I maul him to death. Afterwards... I'll kill you."

Aurora's expression dropped into a sneer. "You don't have the strength to challenge me, witch!" she snapped. "You have no vampiric abilities. If I break your hands, you cannot rely on your magic."

Esmeray leaned into the doorway, pursing her lips as if she was thinking. "You know, you're right. I really don't have vampiric abilities. That's a ruddy shame, you know, because I think I'd enjoy this more if I had to drink your blood. You know, the way Mikael used to do to other vampires." She tapped her fingers against the wall. "I wonder, did Mikael ever give you his stamp of approval?"

Aurora faltered, but recovered quickly. She wasn't about to show Esmeray that she was hitting the right parts of her insecurities. "Did you really come here to flaunt about the fact that you met Mikael? I'm simply surprised you aren't dead."

"No, I didn't come here to do that," sighed Esmeray, putting on a sad look. "I came to remind you of how pathetic you are. Am I really supposed to believe you've been here for what... almost an hour, already, and you have yet to enact your serum? Ah, ah, ah—"

She held up her hand, freezing Aurora in place when she showed even the slightest signs of movement. "Aw, it's cute that you thought I'd let you do it," Esmeray crooned. "Too late."

She walked into the penthouse, looking around. "What a nice little place." She took her time going over to Klaus, who she hadn't yet acknowledged. He was chained up, and unable to move. She swept her hand over the chains, and they popped off, setting him free.

Esmeray made a point to turn Aurora around, magically, as she lifted Klaus up by his shirt, pulling him to stand before pressing her lips firmly against his. Though this terrified her, she wanted to make it seem as though she wasn't left damaged in any way after what Lucien had done to her. "Tonight," she whispered to Klaus once she pulled back, "you're mine."