Chapter 62

Things weren't going too well.

Both Klaus and Hayley were back once she got to the Abattoir. Elijah was laid on his bed. He wasn't conscious, and he seemed to be trembling quite a bit— as if stuck in a nightmare.

"Oliver's dead," Hayley whispered once Esmeray sat beside Elijah, putting her hand on his forehead and murmuring a spell to help him sleep peacefully.

"How did that happen?" asked Esmeray, looking up at her sadly.

"He was hexed. Just after we arrived in the Bayou, he just started bleeding and collapsed. There was nothing we could have done."

Esmeray hung her head. "Will there be a funeral?"

"At dawn, yes."

"I'll head there soon, then," she said, checking her phone. She looked up at Klaus. "What happened with Esther?"

Klaus gave a rough sigh. "She wishes to sway me into accepting a new body— a mortal one. I refused. She attempted to persuade me by bringing Ansel back. She told me how otherwise, I will have to watch you die of old age and I will not be able to save you. She stated that if you and I wished to have children, it would be safer if my body was only a wolf and not a hybrid, because otherwise, the pregnancy could kill you. It's supposedly far too much power for you to have alone in your body."

"She's insane, your mother," Esmeray said, shaking her head.

"Wait," said Hayley, furrowing her brows. "What are you two going to do about that?"

"Well, for starters, we can sign her up for an intervention—"

"No, Esme, about the dying of old age thing. Esther... made a point with that."

Esmeray shrugged. "I haven't really thought about it. I'm technically two years older than I was when Elijah first woke me up, but I don't look like I aged. Maybe that Sleeping Spell preserved me a lot better than we thought."

"You're still mortal, though. Eventually, it will catch up, no matter what spells you do."

"Well, yes, but maybe I can figure something out."

"What if you became a hybrid like me?"

Klaus's fists balled up. "Absolutely not," he answered for Esmeray. "She would lose her mind if she lost her witch abilities."

Hayley frowned. "Oh, right, she'd lose them, wouldn't she..."

"I'm not even entirely certain I'd be a hybrid like you," said Esmeray pensively. "I think I should be. My nature is wolfy and witchy. I can't be a vampire and be witchy at the same time unless I'm a siphon, which I'm not. Witchy disappears. I don't think I can be just a vampire, either. So I think I should become a hybrid like you. But you're both right. Losing my magic... is losing the greatest part of myself. I know I want to half-bind it to help me be a wolf but I don't want to lose my magic entirely."

"And you would never be happy as a vampire," added Klaus. "If immortality is the only benefit, you wouldn't enjoy it. You would abhor having to feed. For all we know, you could become a Ripper after all the times my mother has meddled with your brain. You would despise your own existence. Not to mention the wolves would lose their respect for you, and I do not wish for that to happen."

"I'll figure something out," said Esmeray, looking at her feet. "I also don't want to lose the ability to have kids. I may not want one right at this very moment, but in the future... I think I will want to."

Hayley cracked a small smile. "Yeah... once Hope comes back, she'll need a sibling, and I am not going through another tribrid pregnancy, especially not with Klaus as the baby daddy."