Chapter 88

Elena was at her side.

"How long has it been?" asked Esmeray groggily, seeing that Klaus, Damon, and Bonnie were there, too.

"Hours," said Damon. "You were passed out for quite awhile."

"But... but it was only a moment... with Anya..." She stopped as Bonnie handed her the Mikaelson-Poldark necklace Klaus had given her. "Why—?"

"I turned it into a daylight necklace for you," she said. "I know you don't like rings. I added the lapis lazuli to the chain, and reinforced it so no one can rip it off of you. You're the only one who can take it off. That keeps you safe from anyone trying to light you on fire."

Elena beckoned a cup of her blood into another hand. "Feed. You'll be better."

"I have blood bags at the ready," said Damon, picking up a small crate that'd been at his feet. "I got all types, so you can see which you like best."

Esmeray nodded slowly, taking the cup of blood and downing it, feeling her gums and cheeks stinging a bit before she relaxed, realizing that her vampire face must have come out for the first time.

"Love," said Klaus, bringing the crate to her. "Drink."

She shook her head. "I don't want to right now. Maybe in a bit." She put the necklace on, and laid back on the bed.

"Hold on," said Damon, looking at Klaus, who'd moved to put the necklace onto her. "She just disobeyed an order. How isn't she sired?"

"Because of Hayley," said Esmeray simply. "Five years ago, her and Jackson's wedding gave me the ability to turn at will. Klaus's other hybrids were sired because he was freeing him from having to turn every full moon, and they were grateful. Not that I'm not grateful for all you've done, Klaus, but I don't essentially owe you anything... so I'm not sired. Sorry, that sounded really rude..."

Klaus chuckled. "Not at all, love, it's alright, I know what you mean."

She half-smiled. "So, how did it go with Elijah?"

All the faces in the room became grim. "He was placed in the pendant," said Klaus. "But... the pendant broke, and we are not certain we will be able to recover him."

"But don't worry," said Bonnie quickly. "I'll be helping Freya and Hayley today so we can get him back."

"Kol and Rebekah are on their way here," added Klaus. "After all of Elijah's sirelings dropped dead, they got a ticket straight home."

"What of the Hollow? Is she—?"

He looked down. "It did not work. We fear the Hollow has returned. Marcel has Sofya, and she won't wake."

Esmeray started to tear up from the frustration. This time, crying ached more in her chest, and it sounded like she was being quite loud. "What the fuck?" she hissed, covering her face as she started to sob. "If— if I had my magic, I could help Sofya, I could have done a simple fucking Mind Spell and just healed her!"

"Feed," suggested Damon, offering her one of the bags. "You're hungry, and denying yourself food. It's going to be okay, Esme."

"It's not going to be okay!" she snapped, shoving the bag away roughly. "I'm no good to anyone anymore!"

"Oh, shut up," he snapped right back. "Your back can no longer get broken if you ever sleep with Klaus again, you should be celebrating!"

Elena and Bonnie's mouths dropped open, thinking he'd gone way too far with that. They were shocked to hear Esmeray choke before starting to laugh uncontrollably, holding her stomach and wiggling on the bed.