Chapter 55

Destruction continued to follow.

Esmeray wasn't sure how they got here, but the Bayou had become a warzone— one that she was no longer welcome in.

She thought things might be better. A few days had passed, and she'd been happily helping the wolves settle in. Sakari and Yareli had been given money and some of Esmeray's plans to help them get proper homes for the few wolves in West Virginia. The newcomers were really starting to warm up to the hybrid, and many had been giving her extra information about where she could find Packs that were in need.

Then, some lunatic on a bike had set off bombs that killed half the Pack.

She had done everything she could to save them. She'd rushed around doing Healing Spells even while she herself was injured, and she thought that just for a moment, she would manage to save everyone that hadn't died from the initial impact.

Wrong.

Eve had been the most critically injured. An untriggered wolf, her healing process wasn't intact at all. Esmeray had prioritized the other wolves, but had rushed back the instant Jackson told her that Eve was unwell. She had cast a spell that should have healed her from her internal injuries.

What she didn't know was that Oliver had killed her.

Esmeray was so distracted, running about with Elijah and Jackson to help get any children to safety, that she'd been inattentive. The Beta wolf was bitter. He didn't want to accept Hayley into the Pack, and though he preferred Esmeray, he no longer trusted her. And so, he thought his best bet at getting her to leave was to keep the wolves from supporting her any more.

Eve had been fine one second— truly fine, because Esmeray's spell had worked— and the next second, she was dead, and Oliver was calling for the wolves to fight back against the vampires.

"Esmeray."

She looked up at Klaus, who had been painting her again. This time, she had put on a dress, just to have something to do. Even weeks after the bombings, she couldn't bring herself to do much else. Hayley was back in the Compound for her own safety, and when Esmeray wasn't doing check ups on the baby, she was quite literally doing nothing.

"You still look sad," he observed. "Love, what is it?"

"Just thinking, I suppose," she said. "What's the um, progress on the rings?"

The rings. The one thing she thought could win back the support of the wolves. She'd given many daylight rings to the vampires. They were still attempting to retrieve black kyanite, but once they did, she could make rings that would help the wolves control their turning.

"Jackson and Oliver have left today to retrieve them. They should be back the day after next."

"Okay. And what of Marcel? Are you entirely sure he wasn't responsible for the Bayou bombings?"

He nodded. "I am sure, love. The culprit lies elsewhere."

She huffed. "I wish I knew where."

It was because of her wondering that she was up when Klaus's nightmare happened. She knew something had been off about him in the past days, but she hadn't been able to place it until he'd suddenly sat up, gasping for air, in the middle of the night.

"Klaus," she said, turning on the lights and moving to rub his back. "Hey, you're okay. What happened?"

His face was flushed with sweat, and he didn't look like he wanted to talk, but with a grim expression, he decided to tell her. "I dreamt I found a baby on our doorstep," he whispered. "I was going to pick it up... to hold it. And then I was stabbed by Mikael."