Chapter 65

They arrived while the wedding was still being set up.

Esmeray had to hand it to Klaus, he really did know how to throw a party.

The ballroom was being draped with elegant silk curtains, the railings adorned with flowers while comfortable chairs were set up under the balcony for the Crescent wolves to attend. The two staircases were looking beautiful and ready for Hayley and Jackson to walk up and meet each other at the top to be married.

The ride there had been exhausting, but Esmeray knew that they couldn't afford to sleep. While Cami had been finding out where they could get a fresh change of clothes and giving Elijah directions while he drove, Esmeray was refreshing her Cloaking Spells on them and tending to Hope, who was clearly annoyed having to sit in a car seat for so long. Still, she was a darling, and it was amazing getting to know her. These were the kind of babies that made Esmeray want to be a mom. Fairly calm with no excessive screaming. Cute and curious. Overall, unproblematic.

Elijah, Cami, and Esmeray walked into the Abattoir just a few hours before the wedding would take place, having gotten dressed in a rest stop before arriving in New Orleans. Cami was carrying Hope, who was squealing and smiling as Klaus led Hayley and Jackson over to see her.

"You brought them here?" Hayley said incredulously, though it was clear that she was indeed happy to see her baby. "Finn could be anywhere! "

"I've taken precautions," said Klaus, trying to keep her calm. "There'll be no uninvited guests at your wedding, and after, the wolves will be the first line of defense to this home."

Hayley half-smiled, deciding she'd let it slide for now, and moved forward to take Hope out of Cami's arms. She held her tight, rubbing her back before letting Jackson meet her properly.

"Hi, little one," Jackson whispered, taking her hand and shaking it. "You're so big already."

Hope simply giggled, making grabby hands so that he could hold her. Apparently, the lumberjack aesthetic was appealing to her.

"How was the trip?" asked Klaus, putting his arm around Esmeray and leading her up to her room once he saw that she wanted to head off and get ready for the wedding.

"I almost got blown up," she said, pointing at her left eyebrow, which was still burned a bit. "Elijah got the full blast. But otherwise, the trip was fine. Hope is a calm baby and she's really cute."

"I apologize for the explosion, love," said Klaus with a sigh. "I only wished for Rebekah and Kol to neutralize Finn's power, not overload him and leave Elijah to take desperate measures. And knowing the diabolical bastard, he might have had a Protection Spell that will allow him to return from the dead. I should have done more to keep it from happening in the first place."

"It's not your fault. And I should probably get back down as soon as I get into my dress, there's still so much to do—"

He cut her off by kissing her firmly on the lips, holding her waist delicately to keep her body pressed against his. He backed her into the wall outside her room, his hand swiping out to open the door before pushing her inside, slamming the door shut behind them.

"We can't right now," she said when she pulled away, panting lightly.

"But I wish to," he said, peppering more kisses over her face. "I've missed you so much... I hadn't seen you for ten days..." he buried his face in her neck, inhaling and letting his nose drift over her clavicle. "I hadn't felt your body against mine... hadn't gotten to move my hands over it..."

"Someone's horny," she teased, moving her hair aside so he could kiss her neck properly. "Can't wait til tonight?"

"Oh, I can wait. I simply prefer not to." Another deep inhale. "Soon, love. It smells heavenly."