Chapter 44

To Esmeray's surprise, Klaus wasn't immediately at her side in the morning.

She thought he'd be next to her, looking at her with puppy eyes and asking for permission to kiss her. Instead, she was alone in her bed, and the house appeared to be very quiet.

She'd had a dream that perhaps, had made her be a bit too expectant.

Her eyes had opened with her in the Bayou, at the site where she and Anya were going to perform the ritual. In the dream, Anya was alive, and Jackson was in his human form. They had been talking to her about the spell when she'd felt a tap on her shoulder. Klaus had been there, smiling, and talking about how he forgot to give her one of the ingredients, but remembered just in time. She'd done the ritual, which had really only felt like a blur and she'd eventually just felt stronger. Klaus had come over to congratulate her, and he'd kissed her, pinning her against a tree. Anya and Jackson had disappeared, and Klaus had just been removing her shirt when she woke up.

Esmeray grunted with irritation, rubbing her legs together and awkwardly moving downstairs, where she found that either no one was awake, or no one was here. This had to be a nightmare. There was no way Klaus would have abandoned her when she was like this.

"Good morning," said Hayley, making her flinch. "Jeez, please don't take offense, but you smell really strongly. It's a good sort of smell, though. Like... homemade bread and these really good soaps I used to buy."

"Where is everyone?" asked Esmeray, grinding against her seat as she tried to have breakfast.

"Rebekah and Elijah are off doing who knows what. Klaus, I don't know. Maybe he's raiding the French Quarter version of Spencer's for you."

Esmeray grumbled and put her head down, moving her cereal bowl aside. "This is unfair."

"That's only happened to me once or twice," said Hayley, giving her a curious look. "Most wolves I know don't get it a lot."

"Probably because my entire body is hardwired like a damn clock to go every month as hard as possible unless I'm grieving or just angry. Comes with the lack of control over my magic. I bet once I'm a full hybrid, this won't happen to me anymore. You're lucky— nine months of not having to turn or go into heat. Must be a blast."

Hayley shrugged. "It's nice, but I actually don't mind turning anymore. I got used to it. I can do it in a few seconds once the full moon shows up."

"Oh, lucky you."

"Listen, I can call Klaus if you want me to. Or I can help you— I think I've heard some wolves say that it helps to put a heating pack on your belly while masturbating and watching or reading something sexy so that you can get off and genuinely feel like someone else is doing it to you."

"That... sounds very complicated. I've never..."

Hayley's eyebrows nearly shot off her forehead. "You've never watched or read—?"

"No, it felt so wrong even though I go through people's minds like it's nothing."

"Why not fixate on something like that, then?"

Esmeray whined and forced herself to finish her cereal before trudging upstairs, deciding to try what Hayley recommended. As expected, it did nothing but make her more curious about Klaus's whereabouts. She tried to follow up with an ice bath after that, she took a dip in the pool outside. Nothing made the pain lessen.

"Maybe I can distract you?" offered Hayley, patting her belly, which was starting to grow. "We can do another check up on her. Make sure it's a girl."

"Yeah, we can do this thing that my mother showed me how to do. It might give more insight about the personality, too. Nothing confirmed, but it's something. Lay down."