Chapter 54

Obviously, they returned to the party.

"I really do love the term 'quickie,'" said Klaus with playful solemnity as Esmeray did her best to fix her hair while also walking to the stairs on wobbly legs.

"We are never doing that again when we have an event to get back to," she said, her face red. "I can barely walk upright."

Klaus grinned devilishly, looping a hand around her waist. "That was my intention, love. Next time, you won't be able to walk at all."

"You know, after all that talk about breaking my back, I'm starting to think you're purposely going to fracture my lumbar spine to leave me as a paraplegic. Just do me a favor and remember that you're an Original hybrid and I'm still very mortal. If I die..."

"You will never die at my hand," he promised, kissing her temple as he led her down the stairs.

It was ridiculous how quickly chaos ensued while they were gone.

They'd only been dancing for awhile when there was a crashing sound. Diego had picked Oliver up and tossed him across the courtyard, shattering dozens of champagne glasses that'd been waiting on a table. Oliver recovered quickly and pinned Diego to the nearest wall. A moment later, Elijah had cut in, pinning Oliver against a table. "This ends now," he said sharply. "I won't ask again."

"Oh, we'll end it alright," came Jackson's voice. Off to the side, he had a stake pressed against Diego's chest. There was a tense moment when the two stared at each other, and then—

"What's stopping you?" came Hayley's angry voice from the stairs. "Kill him. Go ahead, Elijah. Do it. I mean, it's not like he doesn't deserve to die."

Esmeray nearly jumped a mile when Francesca Correa was suddenly on the other side of her. "Shouldn't you two intervene, or something?" she asked her and Klaus.

"Why would we?" asked Klaus with a smirk, pulling Esmeray closer to him. "This party just got interesting."

Hayley was still talking. "I mean, it was Oliver who handed Rebekah over to the witches so they could torture her. But, then again, wasn't it Diego who tried to lead a werewolf massacre last month? And the witches cursed the wolves, while the humans stood back and let it all happen. So, when you think about it, everyone here deserves to die."

Elijah looked angry. "Are you approaching a point?"

"My point, Elijah, is this," said Hayley. "If we can't all learn to get along, if our families can't create some sort of community, then what's the point? Kill each other and get it all over with."

Elijah, to Esmeray's surprise, let go of Oliver. Jackson followed suit, though more reluctantly, releasing Diego. Hayley walked off, frustrated, and Klaus simply started to dance with Esmeray again.

"Is it wrong of me to sit back and let them work it out?" asked Esmeray quietly. "I could probably be doing something to help Elijah, considering I was doing this first..."

"I don't blame you, love. They all betrayed your trust. You were hurt by them. The wolves were the only ones who tried looking for you when you were missing. The witches orchestrated your torture. You were their Queen and they did not protect you as they should have. Let Elijah struggle with a peace treaty if he wishes to do it differently. You and I, we're going to focus on the wolves."

Esmeray nodded, tiptoeing to kiss him.

They'd left the party again not long after. Klaus had led her into his art room, and she'd sat on his lap, facing away from the painting so that she could hug him while he worked. Her dress was all bunched up in the front, but she didn't mind anymore. She was just starting to fall asleep when Elijah came in, once the guests were gone.