Chapter 76

Esmeray slept like a baby for the first time in days.

After contributing her hairbrush to Freya's early warning system, she'd gone for a relaxing bath while Klaus continued to paint. When she was finished, they'd cuddled, and she'd fallen asleep in his arms, having a peaceful sleep instead of the usual nightmares.

"Good morning," he whispered when he felt her stir. "How do you feel, love?"

"Mm, wonderful," she said, stretching her legs. "I'm starving. Will you wait for me to change before we go down?"

"Certainly. Let me put on some proper clothes, and I will return."

He escorted her down when they were ready, making her giggle as he held his arm out like a gentleman, trotting down for her amusement. "You're going to make me fall, Klaus," she said, trying to keep up with him.

"I'll catch you, love, don't worry."

When she tripped, he easily scooped her up, carrying her down the rest of the way and kissing her cheek before letting her stand on her own again.

They could hear rushed voices in the courtyard.

"Davina's dead," Marcel was saying urgently. "We need your help to bring her back."

"This is a war," Elijah replied. "Please, understand, I despise the situation."

"No, that's the wrong answer!" said Kol furiously. There was a scuffling sound that suggested the two brothers almost got into a physical altercation.

"No, no, no," said Marcel sharply. "I know this is a war, but I've lost a lot of friends, too. Today, I need your help."

"Then you shall have it," said Klaus as he and Esmeray walked out to meet them. "Come on, Kol." He gestured toward his brother. "Let's get you cleaned up."

He led him away, and Esmeray moved to Marcel. "What happened?"

"Kol couldn't control himself," said the vampire. He was clearly bitter about it, but trying to keep his anger at bay. "The Ancestors made him do it. Vincent is waiting for our signal to start the consecration. She can't go to the Ancestral well, they'll tear her to shreds."

"Freya and I will get her back, I swear it," said Esmeray, putting her hand on his shoulder to comfort him.

He started to tear up. "Please..."

"She'll be alive by the end of the day," the werewitch told him. "I know what it's like to lose a kid. I won't let you lose yours."

She and Freya got to work immediately. Freya, whose expertise was a lot more useful here, suggested a particular spell that would ensure the Ancestors couldn't hurt Davina.

"I'll draw Davina's spirit to a circle," she explained to her siblings, gesturing down to a circle on the ground that Esmeray had made. "As long as she's there, the Ancestors won't be able to torment her. With luck, that will buy us some time to find a way to resurrect her, but I'll need to channel an Original if I'm going to sustain the spell."

"Well, take me," said Kol, holding out his arm. "Put me down for all I care, if it keeps her safe."

"No," Freya replied. "You've been marred by the Ancestors' magic, so, Klaus, Elijah, rock, paper, scissors."

"We don't need rock, paper, scissors," said Klaus instantly. "I'll do it."

Esmeray and Kol beamed at him, but Freya seemed to sense something, because she frowned. Then, on the little table off to the side, all the candles flared up.