Chapter 5

Esmeray was desperate.

She was trying to formulate the best possible plan to retrieve Elijah without running into the man from before. She had gone out once to try and hail a taxi to Mystic Falls, and there he'd been, on a street corner. She'd left swiftly this time, and had placed a spell around the apartment to keep herself safe, but the anxiety was getting to her, and she couldn't think. She hadn't left the house out of fear that he was waiting her out.

On the third day of trying to scheme, the Martins had visited her, likely to see if she was still alive.

"Esmeray," said Jonas, knocking on the door. "Let us in."

She knew it had to be them if they weren't calling her 'Victoria.' She opened the door and ushered them inside, closing the door quickly.

"You're nervous," Jonas observed, narrowing his eyes. "What happened?"

"There's this man out there, I've ran into him twice, I know he's looking for me," she muttered, going to where she had written out the spell for the Unbinding Ritual. "I've finished this- I don't know what's the best way to get to Elijah but I'm really hoping that we find it soon, because I'm going insane."

"We have some news," said Luka as the two sat down on the kitchen chairs. "The Salvatores tried to get us all to work with them."

Esmeray frowned. "What? Why? They know... they know that we're aware of their Elijah takedown, right?"

"I assume that's exactly why they tried to sway us in their favor," said Jonas. "The Bennett girl no longer has her magic, and they know that they need witches."

The hybrid held her hand up. "How is that possible?"

"In your times, I expect that they didn't know how to do spells to remove someone else's magic, because it was something sacred, and it was believed to be a bad omen to remove another's power entirely, which explains why they put you down to try and bind you instead; the magic would be there, just suppressed. Now, there are spells that can be done."

Luka started to pace the room. "Dad," he said, looking up at Jonas. "I just wonder. Even if Bonnie doesn't have her magic... what if they do manage to find the burial ground?"

Jonas looked incredulously at him. "They won't. We tried, Luka, for weeks. Elijah and Esmeray have found nothing. How would they know?"

"The Salvatores- they were here when it happened. We don't have a back-up plan, Dad, and we need to be doing everything we can to save Greta. Maybe... this alliance will be beneficial."

"We will save her," said Jonas confidently. "But Elijah is the answer, not Stefan and his brother. Those people, they're our enemies. They need to be dealt with."

Esmeray frowned. "But Elijah didn't want us to hurt anyone. We can't kill them!"

"No, I never said we would," Jonas said, fumbling with his keys. "I'm going to let Elijah do it. There is something called Astral Projection- it's difficult, but I know a specific type that can be done that could grant us access to the Salvatore House without having to go in. It's what we used to find you, Esmeray. I think I have a plan. We can go in and remove the dagger without being there. Elijah will wake up and slaughter them before meeting back with us, and the plan will go on as he intended it to."

Esmeray pursed her lips. "Alright. But I have never done this spell, I don't know if I can do that on the first try."

"That's fine- you can observe. If we can't manage it, you'll give it a shot. Come with us- we'll head to our apartment... this place isn't safe anymore if someone's found you twice here."