Chapter 56

Esmeray woke up naked on the dining room floor.

It took several moments for her to remember what had happened. The spell. Performing it. Klaus leaving because Marcel and his vampires were on their way. Elijah going to help him. Genevieve stopping the spell too early. Esmeray crumpling to the floor and starting to turn before her head was bashed into the ground.

"I knew I should have killed her when I had the chance," hissed Esmeray, ripping the tablecloth off of the surface it resided on and wrapping it around her body. Judging by how tired she was, the full moon was gone, but only just. She felt incredibly sore, but seeing there were signs of a struggle, she couldn't afford to rest, not when Hayley was in danger.

Once she had secured the tablecloth around her body, she gripped a chair tightly and forced herself to her feet, limping out into the courtyard and stopping dead in her tracks.

There were dead vampires everywhere. Some were still stirring, but with horrible looking werewolf bites on their bodies. Blood covered every inch of the floor, and the stench was unbearable.

"No," she heard someone say, and she turned to see Marcel was trying to see who he could possibly save. Unfortunately, one of the vampires he couldn't save was Diego. "No... no... no..."

There was a clicking of heels, and Cami was suddenly behind him. "Oh my god, Marcel!" she said. "I've been trying to find someone, anyone!" She looked around at the scene. "Where— what's happening?" She caught sight of the hybrid. "Esmeray! Holy— are you okay?"

"Go somewhere safe, Cami," she said, moving forward. "This—" she coughed, holding her chest, before something dawned on her. "Marcel, where's Klaus?"

"MARCEL!"

They turned to see Elijah coming toward them. "MARCEL!" he yelled. "WHERE IS SHE?" He grabbed a nearby chair and tossed it aside angrily. "Where's Hayley?"

"He doesn't have her!" said Cami, jumping between Marcel and Elijah. "Please! I know you don't trust him, but you know I wouldn't lie. He doesn't have her."

"Someone does," seethed Elijah. "Where is my brother?"

"I left him in the street," said Marcel shakily. It was only then that Esmeray saw he'd been bitten— presumably by Klaus. "He was gonna kill me. And then he got jacked up by some witch's spell."

Elijah turned to Esmeray. "Genevieve," he whispered. "What happened to you?"

"She stopped the spell before I was done with the stones," said Esmeray quietly. "She corrupted it. They took Hayley— I don't know where. Give me one minute to get dressed and I'll do a Locator Spell to find her."

"You have thirty seconds," said Elijah sharply.

Esmeray hadn't been wanting to use her strength prematurely, but seeing how angry he was, she decided not to cross him. Using her wolf speed (which was surprisingly intact) she got to her room and put on some clothes before returning with a map of New Orleans. "Your blood," she said to Elijah. "I can use it to tap into your connection with the baby."

He bit into it and dripped it over the map as she set it down on a broken piece of table next to them. As soon as it fell, she started to chant rapidly, with Cami and Marcel watching closely. "St. Anne's Church," said Esmeray, giving Elijah her arm. "Let's—"

"You can't go!" said Cami in disbelief, looking directly at Esmeray. "You can hardly stand upright!"

"If they kill her, Cami, I'll never forgive myself," said Esmeray before Elijah whisked her away.

They were too late.

They found Klaus cradling Hayley's dead body. On the sacristy, Klaus sat with her limp figure, caressing her head. He wasn't crying, but he looked like he wanted to.