Lunch(6)

Dipper POV

Bill Cipher was an interesting man, from the way he introduced himself to how he held himself in conversation with me. He's hard to read but one thing was abundantly clear, he's self centered.

He seemed completely uninterested in Mabel, who he was here to meet and gave Pacifica only enough attention to keep an eye on her. I understood that, after I became a cop and dragged in some big bads I would keep an eye on Mabel wherever we went out together. So even though he was self centered he seemed to care, even a little, about his sister. What gave me a little pause, I have my reasons to watch over Mabel, but what is his reason to watch over Pacifica. A person could have a number of reasons to be protective of another, may it be their job, or a past experience that bonded them. So on. I shouldn't pry but it did have me curious.

"You and your sister are close? I know what that's like, me and Mabel have been basically attached at the hip since we were born." Mabel and Pacifica lead us through the small building to a back table.

He eyed me but didn't answer, instead he took the seat next to where Pacifica set her bag. I chose the seat across from him so Mabel could sit across from Pacifica.

"We have to order at the front, you boys can stay here we'll order." Mabel said, dropping her bag to the ground next to her chair.

I nodded, Bill grabbed Pacifica's arm before she could step away from the table, "I'll pay, take my card with you." his free hand magically held out his card to her, I hadn't even seen him reach into her jacket.

She laughed, taking the card from his hand she fanned her face with it, "Oh my, big brother you spoil me." He let go of her arm once he knew she'd let him pay, "Come on Mabel, lets go get everything on the menu, Bill's paying!" She practically cackled, bouncing off towards the front.

Quickly I pulled my own card from my pocket and got Mabel's attention before she made it too far away, "Take mine too, I can pay for drinks." she smiled.

"Oh I'm so sending you back to work drunk!" she trotted off after her girlfriend.

I shook my head, "You shouldn't have done that, I can cover the four of us for lunch." Bill said, drawing my attention across the table.

I shrugged, "I don't mind helping pay for it and might as well treat the girls sense it was their idea." his wording struck me as strange, "shouldn't" he said, playing it off I looked back towards the front where the girls had gone, "I'm used to covering for Mabel, she's had a hard time finding a job she really likes and with school... it's I don't mind it."

That's when I felt it. I didn't turn right away but I felt it. The feeling of eyes boring into you with rage behind them isn't something simply gone unnoticed. But I didn't turn right away, it came as a surprise but it didn't worry me, in my line of work this is a look I'm quite used to. And the only way to really get to the reason someone is looking at you like this unprompted, is to ignore them.

"I am the one who offered to pay, I don't need help." He said, I could hear a light growl in his tone, but it was also evident that he was trying to hide it.

I finally met his gaze, "Too late now, you can get the drinks next time." I laced a cocky smile over my lips, he may be full of himself but knocking him down a peg is immensely entertaining.

The girls returned before he could retort anything back at me, the moment their voices came into range his whole posture changed and an easy smile rested on his features. "Get everything on the menu?" He asked both of them.

They giggled taking they're seats, Mabel held out my card for me. "Don't blame me when your wallet feels a little light after this." Pacifica bursted out laughing and it quickly caught to Mabel and they both doubled over.