Late Night Stroll(14)

Dipper POV

The night went on longer than it should have, I didn't get Wendy and Valentino back to the precinct till late 4am. Talking with Mabel had convinced Wendy but Valentino was still on edge about letting her talk to John. I would take her to the hospital tomorrow, or really later today, to see if she could talk to him.

On my drive home I still couldn't get my mind to rest, because he had woken up. I didn't get to spend as much time at the scene as I would have liked. Unable to help myself I went to the motel crime scene instead of going home. There were still some cars and techs around doing the last rounds looking for anything and everything that could be a lead.

But before even getting out of the car someone caught my eye, it was Bill Cipher just walking. With hands in his pockets and his eyes on the scene.

He didn't even seem surprised when I stepped out of my car, in fact his pace quickened.

"Detective!" he barked, turning the heads of a few techs outside, I waved them off and intercepted him.

"What are you doing out here Bill Cipher?" I asked when I got out of the shouting range.

"Out on an early morning stroll." He answered looking at the motel entrance, "What's happening out here?"

"Do you work or live around here?" Ignoring his question seemed to only make him more curious about the crime scene.

"Did you get any sleep last night, you're in the same clothes as you wore to lunch yesterday." Billed asked equally dodging the question.

We both pause trying to read the other, the conversation would go nowhere if we simply only asked questions and never answered.

"Let's continue my walk for a moment, I can't stand to hold still like this." He broke the silence beckoning me to walk with him.

The flood lights from cars and camera flashes behind us, flushed out his figure against the night sky. Over my shoulder the small group of men and women still working barely noticed or cared about the two of us. I could come back when the sun is up, I don't have to return right now.

"Answer a few of my questions." I planted my foot to the ground, even though everything in me wanted to join his side, to pick his brain, but I can't do that if he dodges everything I ask.

"Only if you answer mine." he turned his shoulder and started at a low roll, waiting for me, inviting me. Annoyed, I stepped into stride with him.

"Who first?" I asked, pocketing my car keys.

"It's my time you've cut into, I'll go first. So what happened back there? What's the case you're working on?" He said taking the lead on this walk, turning us down the first street on his right away from the scene.

"I can't legally go into detail on the case, but a young man was found unconscious and brutally beaten in one of the hotel rooms. As to who left him there, that's the case I'm on." I explain, he gives me a side eye for a moment before rolling his eyes. "Why are you out walking this late, and why this area?"

"You're new to Gravity Falls so you wouldn't know but, walking around the same street over and over again can get extremely boring. I'll drive out to different areas just for a change of scenery during a walk." He explained looking up at the buildings around us, but something, something in his gaze felt off. He wasn't telling the full truth, or maybe, not the truth at all.

He teeter on his foot swaying closer to me, "You've been plaguing my mind sense lunch."

I almost tripped over my boots, "I'm sorry what-"