Progress(19)

Bill POV

Practically stomping off to my room. If he was just some random other guy I would have used him for a night and then threw him out.

I definitely wouldn't not be doing this shit to make a man stay.

I barely dressed, sweats and a loose t-shirt, I also grabbed the yellow sweater Pacifica gifted me forever ago.

The kitchen wasn't too far off from the living room but with how my house is set up I could get to it without going past Dipper in the living room. Going through the motions the house was dead silent, I could picture him frozen in place scanning the room around him like a hound but not daring to move to touch any of it. The lights flicked on above me.

"What kind of creamer do you have? I hate black coffee."

I smiled when I looked back at him, he stood in the doorway leaning on the wall, he was eyeing my fridge.

"I don't have creamer, I only add sugar to my coffee." I shrugged, ok, so maybe I had a power creamer in the drawer in my pantry because of Pacifica, but I didn't feel like telling him that.

"Then I use milk." he signed, "You have that don't you?"

With a tight lipped smile I nodded to the fridge, "In there."

He glanced around the rest of the kitchen before actually entering and opening the fridge, it told him a moment but he found the milk, an almost full new jug because I barely use it.

I pulled down two mugs as the pot hissed it was finished, pouring my own cup to the brim I went to pour his but he snatched the pot from my hands.

Pouring it himself he did about half coffee and a quarter of milk.

He shifts the cup in his hand, twirling it lightly to mix the drink without a spoon, "So what do you do for work?"

I raised a brow at him but didn't answer.

He searched my face for a moment before continuing, "Pacifica said you're secretive about it but, I think you just like holding the power of when and who you tell. You like the control."

He sipped his coffee not taking his eyes off me, "Get all that from my privacy boundaries and what, my living room?" I asked.

"Deflecting." He hummed into his cup, "Yes, from how you talk and from the way you keep your house."

I leaned on the counter and brought my own cup to my lips. After a moment of silence I said, "Well detective, why don't you put your skills to the test, what do you think I do for work?"

His gaze flicked down my form, I could see the wheels turning but he kept his thoughts to himself. His brow furrowed and he drank more of his coffee, "you run a business right, based in California... I don't think you sell one product tho, Mabel watches all of shark tank and you don't seem the type to go on that show." He paused, "Maybe a law firm of some kind, for the big bad's. But truthfully I don't know, if I had an idea I wouldn't have asked, but I did, cause I don't." He shrugged but I could tell he was holding back something, wanting me to say it.

I laughed, "No, not a law firm, I don't really enjoy the fucked up environment that is law. I tend to avoid it when I can."

He waited thinking I would tell him what I actually did, but instead I let the conversation die there, if he wanted to further the conversation or change it was entirely up to him.

He watched, again his eyes darting up and down my body then around the room before snapping back to me. "I thought of you at work today." He muttered into his cup, his eyes glued to mine for a reaction.