The Journal and the Yellow Coat(27)

Bill POV

His office was dreadfully plain, other than the mountain of paperwork pilled in neat stacks on his desk he only had one photo of his sister out for proof that he works here. The computer screen was dark and I don't even know where to start guessing the password so instead, I pulled open and searched the whole desk. Excitement took me when I found what he keeps locked away in there. A beat up red journal, the front cover had a little scribble in the corner, "Dipper Pines".

Inside, pages and pages of information and rouge sticky notes. Filling through it most of it looked like thoughts on cases he'd recently worked on, from simple one line questions he must have written down to not forget it to full pages of transcripts from a day of work.

"Whacha got there?" Pyronica appeared in the doorway, eyes glued to the book.

"A goldmine," I answer filling towards the back of the almost filled book. Like I thought, there in just the last few pages, his thoughts on his current case. My case.

"He writes in that little thing all the time but doesn't share with anyone else that I've seen." She explains partly to give herself a reason to stalk in and look from over my shoulder.

"This has information on all his most reason cases, including the one about me," I said tipping the book away from her, blocking the view of the page with the cover.

"Not going to share with the class?" She asked but taking the hint she backed up.

"Not this one." I closed it and tucked it into one of the many inside semis of my coat.

"Ok fine, this isn't as fun as I thought it would be. I'm going to find something to play with." She left just as quickly as she had come in.

I watched her leave I can see through the glass walls, my men raiding the floor below, throwing interesting things to the crew at the door, who box and bag quickly placing everything in the open elevator behind them.

A few men came up the stairs disappearing into adjacent offices, pawing at the jackets of the other men and women on the ground.

One of my men with crew-cut black hair and dark skin reaches for Pines jacket.

"Touch him and I take those fingers." I hissed, his hand froze mid-air and he looked up at me.

Without saying a word he backed off, practically crawling to the next prone figure. The only retort I get is in the form of a sideways glance from Pyronica.

Ignoring her my gaze fell on to Dipper again, what to do with him? His journal could be useful, to my enjoyment at least.

Kneeling beside him I open the first page.

Note: of the record information and ideas.

His handwriting is a small scribble, each letter spaced out just a little too much. The handwriting of someone who has been told his whole life that it was unreadable. I could read it just fine.

November 2023 Houston Texas

Four bodies were found in the woods near Lake Sam Rayburn.

Leon and I were sent with SSA Mathew to shadow.

Notes to follow; each body was wrapped in plastic and unclothed. (Leon almost hurled, he'd never seen someone treated this way in person) Wrapped with a layer of limes and bound at the hands and feet.

Died of suffocation, signs of assault.

Dean Corll, I remember him, he was an animalistic killer. I heard about him after he died, one of the kids he had paid off shot him.

"You were there for that?" I asked though he didn't respond.

The journal's next few pages were dedicated to that case, names of missing boys who could fit Corll's type, names of men that could have been the killer, none of which were Corll's name. Date, names of places, documents, interviews, but nothing concrete about the case.

Till he adds a note on how the case was closed.

8:24 a.m. 911 call from Elmer Wayne Henley to Dean Arnold Corll's home claiming he had just killed a man.

When the officers arrived on the scene they found a .22 caliber pistol on the driveway and three teenagers sitting together on the porch.

Elmer Wayne Henley, Timothy Cordell Kerley, Rhonda Louise Williams.

Corll's body was found naked in the hallway gunshot wounds to the head shoulder, and back.

Henley confessed to having added Corll in the abduction and murder of teenage boys over the years and pointed us to other burial sites before his conviction with David Owen Brooks, who also added bringing victims to Corll.

What a horrible thing to ask of teenagers, to bribe them into. Listening to their confessions is sickening, Dean Corll got off too easy for the crimes he committed.

Dipper's thoughts on the case were to be expected, though I doubt he thinks like that now, too many years of seeing things on the dark side does that to a person who's not meant to be here.

Before I could start reading his notes on his next case I heard a shout from the floor below.

"Time to go, Boss, re-enforcements are here."

Closing and pocketing the journal I turned to leave. 8 Ball stood at the landing of the stairs his hand extended for my coat. As much as I love it it's a bit too recognizable and this is not where I intend to meet with Dipper again.

"No, I have a better idea."

His eyebrows shot up and he looked towards the elevator, but he didn't say anything as I walked back into Dipper's office. Taking off my jacket I drape it over the back of his chair.

____________________________________

Dean Arnold Corll was an actual mass murderer, all names in here were actual people, and I did a lot of reading on the case because I like true crime.

I don't plan on using this case again in the story, I only added it here because it gave me the idea for this chapter.