Raging Fire(46)

Dipper POV

I badly wanted to go home... to the shack, but I couldn't get myself to leave while Leo was down in the bullpen with my only defense for Bill surrounded by the people dedicated to putting him away. I just keep staring out the glass window, watching him read through the file on his computer, with Wendy mere steps away at her own desk.

He never even looked up at her, and she didn't look at him. Yet I couldn't turn away, every nerve in my body waiting for the moment he betrays me, the moment this whole team turns against me.

I was sure when Robbie entered the bullpen that it would be all over, he passed Leo's desk and I waited for him to peer at the screen or for Leo to turn around in his chair and tell him everything. Robbie barely nodded his head in Leo and Wendy's direction as he slumped into his own desk chair. He rubbed his hands down his face as his computer glowed to life.

I just stared at the three of them waiting for something, anything to happen, assuming that one of them would say something and they'd all come with pitchforks up the stairs. Nothing. They just worked, and continued working, something I should probably be doing too.

An email alert lit up my screen sending a soft ping noise through the otherwise silent office. It was from the crime scene tech lab,

Full Findings from Yellow Coat left in SSA Pines Office

Bill Cipher Fingerprint Match found at the collar, three full prints along with two partials match up with Cipher's right hand. No other matching prints were found.

Other prints found along the body and sleeves of the jacket, two separate types found.

One Identified: James Legon, 15 full prints and 22 partial matches found all around the jacket.

James Legon, two counts of petty thief in his adult years, 3 charges of assault and 5 years of accumulated jail time before his charges for the last assault got dropped in 2016 and he was released and has been quiet since then.

The second set of prints found are not in the system, however we found 6 full prints and 10 partials so they are now flagged.

Further work ups will be done.

That was it, the email was short and sweet, but oh so sweet.

Bill only had 5 little prints on the back of the collar, only 5, whereas the other two people had over between 15 and 30. The cherry on top, they identified someone, James Legon. D'Amores' words rang clear in my head again and for the first time it looked like I could truly believe all of this was being pinned on Bill.

I glanced back out into the Bullpen, they should have also gotten the email. I watched each of their faces and for their body language, none of them changed. They didn't look up at each other, none of them looked up at me. I turned my attention back to the computer, the email had only been addressed to me. Which gives me more time to build a case against James Legon before sharing this with them.

Fantastic.

Time Skip :0

In the last two hours I had built a small case file on James Legon and Hestia Soleil. After I had finished the Legon file I went back through Hestia's history from when she joined the police academy to now and that medical chart, that oh so damning medical chart. She was a hard one to track down before that, her life was well written on paper but it felt like just that, paper. Like a well written story and not a person's life.

With everything in front of me I could see an easy path between the two of them. They'd never worked together, went to school together, or even lived in the same neighborhood but their grammar and writing were identical. No one writes or speaks so identically like this unless their siblings or went to school together for all of it, and I mean all of it, elementary, middle, high school and at least most of college. The only other reason two people's speech would be so identical is if one person wrote both.