Two-Way Mirror(41)

Bill POV

The room they put me in was unbelievably dull. Gray on gray on gray, just boring. The only stand-out piece was the two-way mirror on the wall I was facing in my chair. Are you on the other side over there, can you see me? I could see myself, my hair un-brushed hanging a bit in my face, my hands folded on the cool steel table.

When the door finally opened it was two faces I hadn't been expecting to see so soon.

D'Amore grinned, sliding in with Marlo right behind them, "Well I'll be damned, tell you the truth Cipher, it's been so long since we've heard from you that I thought you were putting us out of a job."

I fanned offense, "I would never do such a thing. You two are such good company."

"You could have just called, you didn't have to go and get yourself charged with larceny and kidnapping." Marlo sighed, elegantly folding her long frame into one of the two opposing chairs.

I smiled at her, "come on now, where would the fun be in that?"

D'Amore slumped into the last open chair, "Really though Cipher, this does not look good." Their signature smile faltered, "They got DNA man."

"Do they now?" I asked.

Marlo nodded, "Yes, you should have been more careful. What you've done in the last few months," she lowered her voice, moving her mouth less so that the people undoubtedly watching us would have a harder time reading her lips, "Your being reckless, now we will always have your back but do not abuse that by digging yourself a hole."

"She's right, what are you thinking? Leaving the coat? And we know about the letter, and the photo." D'Amore added in a similarly hushed tone.

I smiled leaning in close, matching their level, "I'm not being reckless, that jacket has barely a hair of mine and I'm in that photo standing next to the detective so obviously I didn't take it."

"Prove you're not being a reckless idiot." D'Amore tapped their fingers against the table top. To an outside eye it was no more than a nervous tick, to me it was a simple code, not Morse code of course that would be way too easy and anyone else with half a brain would be able to understand it. No, this was a code D'Amore has been perfecting for years now, one they taught to me and right now they were using to say We will follow your lead, what do you need.

"The photo, if it wasn't being used in such a light I would get it framed, you know it's from the day me and Dipper met." I smiled, "We don't talk much so you might not know this but I actually started dating him."

Marlo nodded, and D'Amore's smile creeped back over their face, "We heard through the grapevine, we were happy for you before all this." D'Amore's fingers skidded across the steel once more right before they stood from their seat. Let's get this show on the road then. They backed up to the mirror and rapped their knuckles on the glass.

Marlo rose from her own chair, and walked out the door without saying anything else. D'Amore followed quickly but waved to me, "We will be right back."

The room fell quiet after the door closed, my attention turned back to the mirror, he was in there I know it. What I wouldn't give to know exactly what he was thinking.

The way he reacted in my apartment was enough to know I have him, he's mine and oh was it so worth it, the look on his face, when he came to my rescue. He's fully turned on his team. He's mine. Just how far will he go for me? I can't wait to see.

Dipper POV

I meet D'Amore in the hall between the watch room and interrogation room.

"You're the lead on this case right?" They asked.