Chapter 24: Ellie's Pregnancy

"Do you know where Mark is? He was not in bed this morning when I woke up."

Abigail jumped immediately and spun around to see Ellie who had easily snuck up on her. She was staring at her with a blank and emotionless face as usual.

"Oh, yes. He came downstairs earlier. He mentioned something about walking around the town. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure exactly where he went."

"It is of no issue." Ellie was a bit concerned, but didn't show it. Mark had been upset about his father all night and she wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't slept at all. He probably went for a walk to vent his frustrations; that's what she dumbed it down to anyway.

Abigail had turned her back again to continue making breakfast which Ellie was most definitely not going to eat.

"Would you like me to assist you?" It wouldn't hurt to try to be helpful if she was going to end up hurting Abigail's feelings. Again.

"That's very kind of you, Ellie. Thank you. If you wouldn't mind, could you start a fire so we can start cooking beans and eggs?" Abigail smiled at her. She was in the process of making grits and lots of it. The last thing she wanted was Glomgold to yell at her again to make more.

Beans and eggs? Ellie didn't know a lot about food but that was a horrid combination. She nodded nonetheless.

"I hope you do not mind me asking, but how old are you Abigail?" Ellie's scanners weren't perfect, thanks to Wyatt, but she could tell she was in her early teens. Which was odd considering she took care of an entire house with guests by herself. That must've been how the 1800s hundreds worked. Ellie hadn't bothered doing more research because that specific time period bored her. And that's saying a lot coming from someone who does math in her freetime.

"I'm fifteen! I'll be turning sixteen in a few months. How old are you? If, of course, you don't mind my asking." As soon as Abigail asked Ellie her age, she immediately felt like she was being rude to her guest.

"Approximately three years old."

Abigail laughed. "Three? You can't be three. Surely you must be in your late teens or early twenties."

Ellie nearly dropped the wooden spoon she had already started making scrambled eggs with. Oh shit, that's right.

"Late teens?" Was the first thing that popped out with no control. Duck Jesus. Did she look that young? What was going to happen when Mark aged more? He was going to look like a total pedo.

"Apologies. I am twenty-two."

Abigail laughed again. "You're very funny, Ellie. I have no idea how you managed to mistake three for twenty-two." When she was finished making the first batch of grits, she began to work on a second. Gotta keep Gomgold happy. The fact neither of them saw Glomgold running around so far today was a miracle. "Anyways, I hope you're preparing the eggs to your liking. I'm sure you must be starving."

"Oh..." Here we go. "That is alright. I will not be eating because I am feeling sick again... because..." Ellie paused. "I am... pregnant...?"

Abigail gasped, nearly breaking the bowl she was holding in her arms. "You are?! That's so wonderful to hear! Oh, but you must eat! You have to eat for two people now. I'll make more grits for you." Abigail immediately went back to the grits except she started to work faster.

"Uh...." Ellie fucked up. "I am not capable of... digesting food...?"

She gave Ellie a weird look. "What? Of course you can. Are you playing a joke on me?" She giggled, hoping that was the case. She wouldn't understand any other reason behind Ellie saying that.