Chapter 29: Got It

Ellie let out an angry huff before turning around in the hotel bed, shoving Mark. It wasn't like she could wake him up in a more polite manner or anything.

Mark groaned and covered his face with the covers. "Let me sleeeeeeeeeeeeep!"

"We need to speak of Kyle." Her voice may have been monotone as usual, but Mark knew her well enough to know she was about to pull some kind of Karen.

He pulled the covers off of his face to look at her. He groaned again and sat up in the bed. "Fine... what about him?"

Ellie sat up as well so she could be on eye level with Mark. "I understand you are forming a relationship with him once again but I do not want him involved in our lives after all of this nonsense is over."

"What? Why? Did something happen when I was gone? Kyle's pretty lit so I don't see the issue here."

"How can you not see the issue?" She snapped. "He kidnapped us, including our child. He threatened Boyd and I's life. He allowed me to be buried alive. Not to mention he is the one who pushed Wyatt to become as threatening as he is now, even if on accident. The only reason he helped me escape the situation and regain my memories is because he has a strange obsession with you. You cannot tell me you are willing to accept Kyle back into your life when he threatened mine and hurt me. I am your wife."

"Okay okay," Mark held up his hands. "I know he did all of those things and I'll admit, they weren't all that cash money of him... but I think the dude means well. If he's wanting to work things out then I think you should at least hear the guy out. If you still don't want him in our lives then... I'll be cool with that."

Ellie crossed her arms. Duck Jesus. She was pulling a Karen. "You would have a very different opinion if he did to you what he did to me. I do not want him in our lives and that is that."

"Jeez..." He sighed and scratched the back of his head. "Alright. I can tell you've given a lot of thought about this. If you think we shouldn't see him anymore then that's what we'll do."

"Much appreciated."

Mark was about to lay down and go back to sleep when Ellie spoke up again.

"I witnessed a sliver of the argument you and your father had. Do you wish to speak of it?"

"Oh shit. You heard that?" He continued "... Yeah it wasn't great. We hadn't talked in years and of course the first thing we do is start fighting... Typical." He crossed his arms and adjusted himself in the bed to be more comfortable. "Basically he was saying a bunch of bullshit about me and you. Yeah, he brought you into it and it really pissed me off. I told him off but he said that everything he did was- ... he said that it was all my fault. That I was the reason he treated me like shit growing up. I know it's stupid to believe him but... damn. I dunno... That just got to me."

It took her a second to respond. Homegirl wasn't good with emotions despite being an emotional person. "I find it odd. He seemed so kind at the saloon, as if he had turned his life around. I would have never guessed." She said. "I suppose his mood shifting around you shows how unstable he is, so I would not take his words to heart. You know you did nothing wrong, you were but a child. Do not let what he spout out get to you." Ellie was going to end it there but then a question popped into her mind. She had no idea why she hadn't asked sooner. "Why is he even here to begin with?"

"He was the only one in that weird cowboy town that had a chance of owning a car. I needed him to drive me and Abigail to Houston. That's it. I would've been just fine never seeing him again but I didn't really have much of a choice. Ugh, and now he's, like, here." Mark had a pissed off expression while staring at his arms. He looked like an immature child who didn't get his way.