Chapter 35: Aunt Mara

"O-okay," Wyatt looked around one more time before taking off Mark's restraints. "So while y-you're repairing Ellie, I'm going to check on Boyd and make sure he's safe. I'll try to get him out of here too." He opened the holographic wall to Ellie's cell, handing Mark the toolkit. "I don't think anyone will see you, but if they do and question what's going on just tell them I'm forcing you to take apart Ellie or something... p-please don't rat me out."

"I meeeeeaannnnnn, I hate you but I ain't a snitch, chief."

Wyatt nodded. "Okay... I also have to turn the cell on again. S-so people will think that you're still captured." He frantically waved his hands. "B-but don't worry! I'll be right back to help!" Wyatt backed up and turned the holographic cell door on again before speed walking to Boyd's holding cell.

Mark quickly made his way to Ellie and opened up the tool kit Wyatt had provided him. "Yo, are you alright, Ellie? Can you hear me? Can you see me?" Mark waved his hand in front of Ellie's face while he asked that last question.

"Mark?" Man, was she glad to see him. Metaphorically. "N-no. I cannot s-see at all or move v-very well."

The fact she was stuttering also told Mark she couldn't speak very well either. Wyatt really fucked her up. The fact her system survived that much water damage was a miracle.

"A-and I- I am tired." Ellie almost forgot to mention that.

Mark stopped looking for tools long enough to give her a hug. "Shit... I hate that this happened. When we get outta here, and this place becomes Waddle again- okay wait so like, when we come back here but different. Ya feel?" He quickly went back to his point. "Anyways, what I mean is, I will figure out some techno shit to make sure something like this doesn't happen again... maybe something as simple as a rain hat?" He stopped hugging her. "Nope. Bad idea. It's not in fashion just yet. Maybe when it does, yeah?" He smiled before finally grabbing the first tool he needed and walked behind her. He immediately started working on repairs. The first thing he wanted to fix was her eyesight. "Let me know when you can see again, babe."

"Alright." She tried to relax while he went to work but she couldn't. Getting repairs done always felt weird and violating. "I apologize for all the t-terrible things I said to you. I did n-not mean it." She meant all the things she said to Steelbeak and Kyle though. "I was u-upset t-that I c-could not prevent Boyd from getting dragged into another terrible situation again, but I should not h-have let it out on you."

Ellie was going to stop there, but remembered to add one last thing. "I a-also apologize for my plan with W-Wyatt backfiring. I was impressed with my a-acting for o-once, but it did not remain convincing for long. But I will s-say I- I am very surprised I-I m-managed t-to g-get h-him on our side again."

Mark continued to work. "It's chill. I know you were under a lot of stress so I didn't take it too personally. Lmao." He did take it personally but he wasn't about to tell her that and make her feel bad. "Also yeah! Can we talk about how Wyatt is just... good again? Whack. I mean, I'm not gonna question it though. If he wants to help us out, cool! Not cool that he put your head under some water though." After a few more tries, Mark clicked some wires together that he hoped did the trick. "Can you see anything?"

Ellie blinked a few times as her vision blurred into focus. "Y-yes, I can. Much appreciated." She continued on into a ramble before Mark could say anything. "I j-just do n-not u-understand Wyatt's fascination with 'Lucy'. When I told h-him that I was still the s-same p-person, Lucy, but with more memories... that is what c-caused him to break. Just like that. It was i-immediate." And quite disturbing. "I almost felt b-bad for him w-when I-I remembered w-who he was when I first met him, but I will n-never forgive h-him. I know this goes against my word with Boyd, but after all of this is over I am going to k-kill Wyatt. I swear I will. B-Boyd m-may hate m-me for it but I need to do it or I will go i-insane."