It Will Always Be You

"I was thirteen and naïve when it came to stepping out of the village. I wanted to see different places, roam around unchartered territories. I still like that." Fayette kept gawking at the open field with Garrick tagging himself to accompany her under the shade of the big tree.

"Callan was a friend of Bradyn, my brother. He did became accustomed to the life of the humans. Both Archer and Callan frequently visited the village and we got to know each other better."

The girl's smile vanished which worried the wolf "What happened?"

"I had an argument. My parents were not allowing me to leave the house and play with the boys. I couldn't understand why. To be honest I did not want to understand. My rebellious nature was proving too much for them to handle. They locked me in my room." She scoffed

"I didn't know humans could be strict with their children."

"I managed to free myself from the shambles and release myself from the confinement. It liberated me. My first break out. My fragile mind had only one thought at that time.. I wanted to do what the boys would usually do. I stepped out of my village and that was the biggest mistake of my life."

"Why?"

"On my way to reach Bradyn I never realized that I was being followed. I stopped my strides to pick up an unusually decorated red stone when I heard the earth shattering growl. It brought chills to my spine. I turned around and there it was. A big ferocious lion."

Garrick's eyes flew wide. It was a dangerous world they lived in. More so it was never easy for the humans who belonged to the lower grade of the food chain. "Was he a shifter?"

Fayette nodded "He looked hungry and his predatory eyes were robbing me of my confidence. It was like I was seeing death face to face. He ran towards me and I stood there still; frozen due to the immense fear. Unable to comprehend what I should do. I was scared for my life"

"You survived."

A small bead of water escaped through Fayette's eyes "It was Callan. I don't know how or when but he stood between me and the lion. He halted the animals strides with a small dagger. He was scared too but I was more scared than him. Without thinking about himself Callan jumped on the big animal. It was all defense. I took my opportunity and hid behind a rock. I was watching how the boy was trying to dodge the lions attacks." Fayette sniveled. Her nostalgic mind was rewinding the scenario in front of her as if it had happened just yesterday.

"I realized one thing at the moment" She turned to look at the beta "In a zest to save my life Callan had taken my place! He was tired and out of breath. His body was oozing blood and soon he was about to pass out but he looked at a frightened me and he stood up again. He didn't give up. Before the matter got out of hand, my father came in with reinforcements. The lion was killed eventually."

Garrick scowled in confusion "So you owe the human your life?"

"You still don't understand, do you?" Fayette snorted derisively "Everything changed between the both of us from that day. It was an unestablished bond. He was my savior. His act was selfless. He didn't mean anything to me back then yet he saved me by putting his own life in danger. Have you ever imagined that if it hadn't been for that human than you would've never had a mate in the first place? I would've been dead long ago."

"Don't say that."

Fayette could see the worry in Garrick's eyes. His features were calm but his heart was broken and Fayette could sense it. She awkwardly smiled at him and changed the subject "I know you blame Callan for your parents death. That's wrong."