Beast Beloved

Serenity was plastered across Callan's face; his heart thumped in accordance with his slow shallow breaths. The pure innocence on his face could make anyone fall to his knees. His perfect hair balanced above his forehead dancing to his breathing motions.

Einar stared at the beautiful man with content. It was the first time since ages that they were together and regret that he cant touch him, hold him or accept him even when they are this close. Why was the goddess so cruel to him? Callan was perfect in every way; he was strong, determined and always thought about others well being and safety; qualities fit for a luna. With just one exception..

He was a man.

Einar would have readily accepted any girl as his mate. He never had high expectations from the goddess. A royal blood or an omega, shifter from other clans, hell even a human he would have accepted. But of all the pairs the luna made she linked him with a man. Why!?

Einar's thought process was interrupted when his eyes landed on Callan's injured arm. It was supported by a beam of wood attached through his neck. It was bandaged but the stain of blood was clearly visible.

The wolves live for their mate. It is they who make them complete and so it was necessary for every wolf to keep their mates loved and protected; it was the first rule! But all Einar did in his entire life was to treat the man poorly, make him feel unwanted. He was really ashamed of himself but he had no choice.

He failed as a mate.

 He sighed with frustration. The metal to his chest glowed. His beasts wanted out, to be close to their mate. This internal battle between his beasts and him made Einar uneasy and a furious growl escaped his lips.

Callan woke in a jiffy hearing the roar, his head spinned and he struggled to find his composure. However it was his arm which was causing all the trouble. "Aw.." he groaned in pain.

"What happened?" Einar asked worriedly.

Callan could not believe what he saw. Was Einar really in the same space as he was! He couldn't even remember when Einar spoke to him the last time. He blinked his eyes rapidly and concluded that it must be a hallucination; the after effects of the medicine.

"Does your arm hurt?" Einar asked again.

He really is here! Callan thought. He was staggered at the surprise appearance of the going to be Alpha. Not just that; Luna had been merciful today for the going to be alpha was talking to him!

"Just say something." Einar growled with exasperation.

"F-Fine" Callan cleared his throat. "I'm fine." he tried to sit up

"No!" Einar said in a jiffy "Don't do that.. You must rest." Einar put his hand on Callan's shoulder motioning him to lie down.

Callan just stared at the man with utter disbelief. This must have been the only good words spoken by Einar in years. But he found it difficult to believe him, there must have been a hidden motive behind his visit he thought. After a long silence Callan looked at his arm and chuckled. "What does it matter; I am soon going to be in a deep slumber anyway. A long long sleep."

Einar's blood boiled hearing his own mate say such a thing. Does he not know how much his heartbeat means to him! His demon and his wolf will disappear if anything goes wrong with the man just like that. Hence it was important for Callan to live. He grinded his teeth and said "Why are you being so pessimistic? You will be just fine."

The anger in his face did not go unnoticed by Callan. But why was he angry in the first place? Even if he had a bad day he should have the basic decency to control his emotions in front of an injured patient. But again one could never forecast Einar's mood, he was furious one moment while happy just right after. Callan calmly replied "I have faced injuries for my entire life. I have worked closely with Aurora to realise the limits of any medication. As also; her face said it all."