The Mysterious Girl

Einar's eyes were robbed of their usual warmth. He wanted to rekindle the heat within him but his insides were too damp with all the unshed tears. He looked at the rising sun from the window and wished that the morning never came. His eyes were a bit puffed and the area beneath had darkened due to the lack of sleep.

How could he sleep?

The split images he saw a week ago when he toured the pack, harrowed him to the core. He couldn't believe that the carnage which occurred was all because of him; that he was responsible for the chaos and the killings of his own people. Deep within he felt remorse and was a bit ashamed but it was too late. The damage had already been done. The news about his out of control behaviour had reached the nearby packs and possibly to the kings court.

How did this all happen? He was sure that he was in control for a long time. The full moon had rendered him weak and inactive but it was the price he had to pay to keep his lovesick wolf under check. Most importantly he could not remember anything from when the wolf in him took charge.

The screeching of the door grabbed Einar's attention as he looked at the figure carrying a tray and the hot beverage on it. He took a deep sigh as the drink was all he needed to rejuvenate his mind. He straightened his back and leaned backwards to the wall. However his movement was abruptly halted when he saw the person bringing in the refreshments.

It was his mate.

Over the past one week the only companion though unwanted, was the beautiful man. Even after Einar's complaints and his distancing behaviour the handsome man had been adamant to keep him company. He would ask about him, enquire his condition while he would forcibly tend to Einar's wounds. There were days when both of them spoke nothing at all but kept gawking at each other for their own reasons.

 In a way Callan's presence was making the beasts in him happy while Einar felt disgusted with himself. After what went through with the pack he should feel dreadful and have courage to go outside to assure his people. As a leader he was supposed to helm the pack to its glory and integrate everyone under his protection. 

Instead, he stayed in his room like a coward and shamefully enjoyed the company of his mate. Callans presence was making the days pass by easily. However Einar was slightly angry at his mate for indirectly he was the reason for the chaos that happened.

Callan smiled as he walked in and slowly kept the tray on the table besides the bed. He gently handed over the glass with hot beverage to the alpha.

"Where are the servants?" Einar asked dryly as he took the first sip.

"They are outside."

Einar looked at the window and then at the door "Where are the other people?"

"They are where they should be." Callan said in a low, meek voice.

In the hindsight Einar knew why the people he was used to working with did not show up. They were scared. And why wouldn't they be? Einar's presence was no more secure. The temperamental behaviour of the alpha could put any life in jeopardy just like that. It was understandable for why the pack wanted to distance themselves with him. Apart from one exception; the beautiful man standing in front of him.

"Why have you come here Ashton?" Einar asked in his defeat.

"To take care of you."

"I don't want you near me." The alpha coldly said.

Callan smiled and almost whispered "You don't want me.. but you need me."

The cryptic words took Einar by surprise as he looked at Callan in confusion and scowled. "I will be fine by my own."