Punishment is in order

"Shift." The Alpha ordered in his stern voice.

"I command you to SHIFT." The Alpha demanded even more fiercely but to his disappointment nothing happened.

Callan was now thirteen and unlike his fellow counterparts he was unable to turn into a wolf. This had never happened before. Usually every shift occurred on the first full moon after eight years of existence or in some cases ten years from birth. Being the only child of the Head Warrior, Callan was expected to be next Warrior in line for the future Alpha to be. For this to happen, he had to have a wolf spirit in him.

"Focus Cally. Breathe. Focus." The anxious father said with desperation. Callan closed his eyes tightly, gritting his teeth while applying full force to awaken the wolf inside him.

"Aargh....." He breathed harshly closing his fists and knitting his brows together but he realized that it was a lost cause. He heaved a long sigh of exasperation. He looked to his father and said "I'm trying father, but its not working. I don't feel anything, there is nothing inside me." The boy was dejected and lowered his eyes immediately.

"YOU'RE NOT TRYING ENOUGH." Callan flinched when the boy's father raised his voice, clearly fuming over his son's inability to turn. It had been a long struggle for him. He tried every magic, every potion and even made his son an experimental puppet, just to witness a glimpse of a ferocious beast. He wasn't accepting of the fact that his son was born without a wolf.

"THAT'S ENOUGH JUSTUS!"

The environment around had became tensed suddenly. Callan realized that the situation was getting out of control because he had never seen the Alpha use his command over his father.

"Callan my boy, go to the Luna. She must be in the gardens. You will also find your mother there. Go now." Without wasting any more time Callan ran like his life had depended on it. "Justus, come with me to my office."

The Alpha knew that his close comrade and the best fighter of the pack was a broken man inside. His eyes had become glossy. His head hung low, like he had given up. He was stranded. With a heavy heart he finally accepted that his son was born without a wolf. Most importantly he was concerned for his boy as without a wolf his son had no future in the pack.

He would be just a normal being. A petty human.

He would not be respected, would always be looked down upon. Moreover he could never defend himself in case of any adversity. Every other living being would have an undue advantage over his son. Even the Omegas!

Justus absentmindedly followed the Alpha through the large wooden doors of the Alpha's Office. As soon as they entered the premise, Justus stationed himself in the corner of the room while the Alpha impatiently paced besides his mahogany desk. After several anxious moments the Alpha looked at Justus with annoyance and a bit pity.

"I don't understand this..  A thing as such has never happened in the entire Lycan history." He knitted his brows and sighed "Yours isn't an inter species mating. Both you and Mary are shifters. It is written in stone that a child shares the blood and legacy of his parents. This means that there should be a wolf spirit deep down somewhere within Callan. I'm sure of it."

The room fell silent once again. Justus was pensive. Ragnar could feel the inner storm brewing in Justus. He wanted to aid his friend but felt helpless. After a few moments Justus was back to being himself - cold, hard and domineering. The Alpha could see the determination in the eyes of Justus. "You're hiding your thoughts from me. I can't read you. What are you up to?" The Alpha asked thoughtfully.

Justus rose his chin up "Thanks for your help Alpha but I have made a decision. In the best interest of my child, I want to move out of the Alpha house..."