The First Instinct

After the episode with the Alpha, Callan was regretful. Being the only child of the Head warrior meant that Callan was supposed to be the next in line for the post and follow his father's footsteps. Since the inception of the pack, the pure bloods had a distinct advantage over other members of the pack. Hence it was only logical to make the carrier of the bloodline be entrusted with the lineage of the respective positions. In this case it meant that Callan should prove himself as a warrior and take the job after his father which had a very less probability.

Callan was depressed.

For once he knew that even if he trains himself he will never be able to fight any wolf or any shifter for that matter. He would always be considered the weak-link of the pack.

'I am worthless′ Callan thought. ′It took centuries for my ancestors to build this legacy. Father has always proved his worth to the pack. People awed his valor, honor, stature and persona. He was always proud of it. Not anymore. How would I ever compete for the spot. Even if I am nominated how can I participate in any battles. I would be a weak leader. Only a burden. I am a disappointment to my father '.

He was ascertain that even if everyone else saw him as a dead wood his mother would be deferent. He soon remembered the Alphas command and headed straightaway to the gardens. As soon as he reached the gardens he saw his mother and the Luna besides the Rose plantations plucking flowers. A wide grin made its way to Callan's face but he stopped midway when he saw beads of water flowing through the cheeks of his Mother. His mother had been crying.

"I don't know what to do Luna. He is just a child, its not his fault if he can't shift." Mary was rubbing her alae with the back of her index finger trying to compose herself before the Luna. "His father is really harsh sometimes. He is pushing Callan beyond his limits; training him from dawn till dusk and sometimes even in the moonlight. Tagging him for life threatening expeditions. Giving him tasks that only experienced wolves can perform." Mary could no longer hold herself, she had to pour it all. She could not see her son put to test over and over again. "He even gets censured and punished if he fails. He is just a thirteen year old boy.
My boy...My baby!"

Zelda was giving Mary comfort who was crying inconsolably in her arms.

"I am torn between the both of them. I can't see my mate loosing this battle. It is destroying him from within. Neither can I watch the plight of my son who is doing everything in his power to please his father." Mary wiped her tears and looked towards the Luna.

"I have to confront Justus. Make him realize that our child matters more than his enormous pride."

"Everything will be alright Mary. Have faith in the goddess. She must have thought something for the boy, something good definitely. Believe in her. I will talk to Ragnar about this. Justus has to come to terms with the situation."

With that words from the Luna, Callan could hear no more. He turned his back and started moving with deaf footsteps. To his dismay the memory from this afternoon and all the previous encounters with the Alpha added fuel to fire. He was angry at himself. Angry that he cannot be the son their parents want. Angry that he cannot fulfill their expectations. Angry that he made his mother cry. He would be the cause of embarrassment in the future when people would reject him as their leader - The head warrior.

A thought came to his mind. What if he could get rid off all this embarrassment his parents are facing, what if they can walk with pride in the pack. They would be always be happy. He quickly moved to the Alpha house. He gathered all his clothes and a Valise from his room, stashed all his belongings into it and threw it out of the window. He then sneakily made his way out. He reached the backside of the house to pick his bag and then walked for a distance before taking one last glance at the Alpha house; at his childhood, his entire life. He gripped his hand tightly around the bag and moved ahead into the woods, not knowing his destination.