In Heat

****

Rosaline sat on the chair with her hands folded to her chest and her gaze was completely stationed on the sac which was swelling as the time passed by. She occasionally bit her lips and tapped her feet. She was distracted by a deep voice "You seem nervous."

Rosaline looked at a concerned Callan and nodded "When the alpha knew about my ancestors I thought he would reprimand me. He didn't say anything!"

"The alpha is not unkind. He understands your predicament and would surely come up with a solution." He turned his back and picked up a random shirt to fill in his sac "So.." He turned again to look at the lady "This cousin of yours.. Have you met him?"

"A few times. When my pack was plundered I turned to him for help. He was ready to give me shelter only if I practiced witchery." 

"That seems unfair."

Rosaline smiled "They live in a cult where no outsiders are allowed. It is a prerequisite that needs to be adhered to if you want shelter."

Callan nodded in understanding and looked at Rosaline apologetically. How alone and afraid the poor woman might've been when her pack was brutally attacked and she was left with no choice but to wander from place to place for her survival. Callan felt lucky that though the pack didn't like him he had a place to live which could provide him protection.

"Will you be alright on your own?"

"I can manage myself. Moreover it is just a matter of a few days."

"Why aren't you coming with us?"

"I wasn't called."

Callan scowled "I didn't get you."

Rosaline stood from her place and helped Callan pack his things "Everyone seeks knowledge for their own benefit but the seers chose who they disseminate that knowledge to. You have to write a letter addressing them and burn it in fire. If the same letter returns to you in any which way than you are lucky."

Callan looked puzzled at the information "How did the alpha receive the invitation?"

"The letters which were bombarded to the alpha after Einar's attack on the pack had one of them written by the seer."

"This is strange."

"It addressed the Knight family and surprisingly the Ashton family with each individual names."

"This also means that you should be with us, after all.. " Callan pursed his lips "You are a knight as well." He spoke lowly with a withering smile.

"My name wasn't on the list. Perhaps I seek no knowledge from them."

"It goes the same for me as well. I don't want to know anything."

"This surprises me too. I can understand alpha Ragnar's concern but what is your father worried about?"

Callan was curious too. He wasn't sure why his parents were dragged to this expedition. Besides what did they want to know and about whom? The previous encounter with a seer didn't bear any fruit for that was the time since the rumours about him started. His parents' secretive nature was getting on his nerves while his frustration was growing.

He sighed deeply as he knotted the opening of his sac "I wish I knew."

****

Callan watched his feet take steps across the patchy uneven surface. Though he balanced his stance perfectly to move ahead he was vigilant throughout. On occasions he swiped his neck all around to look if anyone was following him. He was walking in a hurry with no clear destination in his mind.