Welcoming The Guests

Dedicated to an ardent reader funmith. 

(Your prayers really helped man.)

********

As the allotted time drew near the once steady minds had suddenly became restless. The warriors were groomed and lined in their respective positions. In this anxious moment Garrick could barely formulate a thought. Aldous and his men were waiting in anticipation for a command. They had discerned that a serious threat was looming over the pack and so they were being prepared. 

Aldous was trying to comfort his men but even he was running out of patience. He ran his hand through his hair and looked at Garrick in frustration "How long do we have to wait? My men have been standing here for quite long now. You are just wasting their abilities."

"You have to stand your ground Aldous. Its the alphas order."

"But where is he? Einar has been gone throughout the day. I am supposed to be his protector but how would I save him from any danger if he does not let me know about his whereabouts?" 

"Do you really think he needs any saving." Garrick paused for a moment and sighed to calm himself "Look Aldous, I know the position is casting an undue pressure on you and I know you want to do the job the right way and not fail but believe me had Einar not seen the potential in you he would have never chosen you as the head warrior."

"And what potential did he see in Ashton?" Aldous spitted in anger.

"Are you questioning the alpha?" Garrick glared.

"You know I'm not. But I am curious as to why a non shifter weakling was put to the highest pedestal just like that. He has even surpassed you! Doesn't it bother you?"

"It does." Garrick whispered "The decision to chose Callan as the guard was definitely taken by Einar however he was only fulfilling his mates wish. Luna Rosaline sympathises with Ashton and so she asked Einar to appoint him as her guard."

"Still!" Aldous huffed in frustration "Many in the pack don't approve this decision. He is cursed Garrick! Only luna knows what bad omen he would bring to the alphas mate. If luna Rosaline is harmed in any way can you imagine what kind of havoc the alpha would bring to the pack. I am not taking the chances. I'll talk with Einar about this. I can accept any other wolf but him."

"Its the hatred in you spitting those words. How do you know he is cursed? Who told you? Do you have proof against your claim?" Garrick put his hand on the shoulder of the head warrior. He looked him in the eye and with softened expressions he spoke "I know you don't like him. I don't like him either but the decision has been made. We cant do anything about it."

Aldous angrily removed Garrick's hand "And what if he fails to do his job in protecting the Luna.."

"Then I promise you Aldous. I would be the first in line to demand dismissing Ashton and punish him accordingly."

When Garrick uttered those words the head warrior seemed to relax a bit. The anger in him slowly evaporating. It was obvious that the men of the pack were envious of Callan for he not being a wolf was given probably the most important job in the pack. This meant that Callan was higher in stature and profile amongst every other wolf in the pack including even Garrick. This was not going down too well with the wolves as many thought that Callan's cursed fate would bring doom to the alpha mates and destroy the pack.

"Beta.. you need to see this." One of the pack warrior alerted Aldous and Garrick.

Both the men followed the warrior to the edge of the cliff. From the cliff where they stood lied a large open area beneath. At a great distance from the field was the opening of the dense forest. The blue moon pack could sense some movements through the bushes as few figures started appearing from the dark palette of the woods. "Finally some action." Aldous was overjoyed and he instructed his men to take attacking positions.