No Matter What

The trees surpassed the wolves in a blink of an eye. Their feet barely touched the ground as they competed with the flow of the wind. With eyes full of fury the black wolf heaved short breaths and ran with his full might. 

After covering a large distance from the Idris pack, both the wolves turned into their respective human bodies. 

The environment was calm but there was no relief in Einar's features. He walked at a speed which was becoming difficult for Garrick to catch up.

"Cant you just slow down a bit?" It was more of a request as Garrick was barely keeping up with the mightier wolf.

"I need to be there." Einar said in a worried tone, hardly caring for the fact that he was not alone.

"We ran through all our journey. I am tired and I am sure you are too."

"It doesn't matter. I need to see Callan."

"But why?"

Einar halted for a moment and turned around to look at his best friend "Because my wolf feels he is in trouble." he calmly said.

"This.. This is impossible!" Garrick's mouth lay hung open in astonishment "Can he do that?"

Einar nodded a little. Wolves were known to sense trouble or other powerful emotions of their loved one when they were in a strong bond. The prerequisite to the rule being that the mate pairs must be in the same pack at that time and should have completed the bond at the earliest. This case however did not apply to the inter species mate pairs or for two male bond inmates whatsoever.

"When we were thirteen he sensed that something was wrong and led me to the forest. Callan was fighting that dragon if you remember." he raised a brow "On my sixteenth birthday he could feel the troubled heart of Callan again."

"It was the day when the ferals attacked." Garrick realized the connection.

Einar briefly nodded and returned to his speedy steps marching ahead "When Rosaline arrived in the pack I could only think of Callan because I was worried for his safety. It was mainly because my wolf was worried about him and he was right."

"Is it the same today?"

"It is a lot worse Garrick." Einar heaved a deep sigh of sorrow "I felt as if my life was slipping away. Almost as if I was going to die. It is hard to describe but I think he is in immense pain at this moment."

Garrick could sense the emotional turbulence brewing inside the head of the former alpha and he kept his mum. He couldn't say anything because his words were not enough to give any reassurance or soothe his best friend's mind. Einar was in pain which made Garrick sad from within.

Both the men continued the journey in silence for a very long time before Garrick spoke out of curiosity when Einar made a drastic turn.

 "Our pack is this way." he pointed to a direction in the west.

"The wolf is forcing me to turn."

Garrick could speak no more for the occasional grunts and growls was making him scared. The mightier wolf was angry as hell and Garrick surely did not want to experience his wrath. He followed the muscular man for some more. They crossed a river and a magnificent hill only to land at the entrance of a settlement.

"This is Donovan's pack." Garrick said in confusion.

Einar hardly paid any attention to his best friend as his blood boiled at the sight of people jouncing and rejoicing. Their merriment was making him furious for some reason.