The Known Secret

It seemed that the clouds had gotten a sudden fascination to the cottage as they hugged each other and hovered above it. The sky which once was swept away by flickering stars entirely, now could no longer hold its place. The clouds had banished the illumination of the celestial bodies.

The heavens were restless tonight.

Sabinus tapped his fingers to the curved silvery top of his walking stick. He occasionally glanced at the coruscation of the clouds, the way they were moving around the cottage and rumbling against each other as if threatening the mortals beneath.

Elder Odulf was restless while Aurora could not keep her emotions at check.

"Will you please say something!" she glanced at the man who was pensive looking at the sky. He rested his stick to a nearby tree and turned to face the duo. Aurora could extrapolate the gravity of the situation when she saw the grim face of the healer.

Sabinus sighed in defeat "I'm afraid there is little we can do."

"There has to be a way!" Aurora almost choked while her eyes could no longer delay the tears.

The sharp loud cracks from above were making matters even horrifying. 

"The wounds are too deep for any shifter to bear let alone this human form. The canines have ruptured his skin entirely. You can even see his bones!" Sabinus caught a moment and sat on the nearest wooden log. "His powers have not fully manifested yet which makes it even worse. The minimum powers which he has activated are keeping him alive but barely."

"I don't believe I am saying this.." Odulf whispered and sighed "but if the arm is the real culprit then why cant we just get rid of it. Rip off his arm!?" Elder Odulf asked unsure of himself.

Sabinus shook his head "That would not help elder Odulf. Their race can survive only when every part of the human is intact. Think of it as a circle where the soul is the centre surrounded by the body; any part missing and the circle is broken, the energy flow lost."

"So we are back to square one. I cannot think of any more possible solutions. My medications and potions work differently on him; but I cant keep on experimenting. Its dangerous!" elder Odulf said in a low voice.

"Your right elder Odulf. We should not take the risk."

"So you are saying that there is no way to save Callan." asked the lady.

Sabinus stood from his place and looked at the motion of the wind which was gaining strength. "I can think of only one way." he turned to face them and said indifferently. "His true mate.."

Skeptical of the solution Aurora and Odulf looked at each other helplessly. It wasn't as if they had not thought about it. Even as a child Aurora had tricked Einar to save Callan, but tonight was different. Einar was not a child anymore; he could not be tricked or forced to do anything against his will. Moreover he had detached himself from his mate for a long time now so they were unsure if Einar would help.

"The fact is, Einar has not accepted Callan as his mate. From what I can gather, even his wolf has some issues regarding Callan. So I don't think he will agree to do it." Aurora reasoned with Sabinus. She knew for some reason Einar has not been accepting of his mate and keeping a safe distance from him. Aiding his process was his wolf who showed no sign of marking his mate as any normal case would be.

"Here is where you are wrong my love. The bond they share is way too stronger for the wolf to not acknowledge. However its not the wolf we need here." Sabinus whispered the last words.

Perplexed by the statement elder Odulf interjected. "As far as I remember Einar's wolf cured Callan when he was thirteen so it should not be a problem now."