Chapter 16

Klaus seemed to want to make conversation.

"And what, pray tell, are you intending to do all night?" he inquired, seeing she'd curled up on the couch.

"Sleep," she said, covering her face with the pillow. "I'm still tired."

He drummed his fingers impatiently on the back of the couch before going to sit at the armchair across from her. "Benjamin, why don't you go get me a bottle of bourbon, and go visit your pals at the Columbia River Pack to find any potential warriors for me?"

Benjamin nodded obediently and sped off, returning with a bottle of bourbon and two glasses. He then gave an awkward sort of bow and walked out the door.

Esmeray had paid him and Klaus no heed until she sensed the Original hybrid was looking in her direction. "Do you need something?" she muttered, cracking one eyelid open so she could see him.

"I am simply wondering, is all," he said wickedly, which made her suspicious.

She narrowed her eyes slightly. "Wondering about what? If you bring up Damon again..."

"Anya. You fancy her."

"I barely met her."

"And yet, she's interested in you."

"I know."

Klaus scoffed as he poured himself some bourbon. "Clearly, there is a great shortage of words in your mind at the moment."

Esmeray rolled her eyes. "What part of 'I'm still tired' do you not understand? Are you really that desperate for attention?" When he didn't answer, she groaned and sat up, rubbing her eyes. "I don't feel well."

He stood, bringing the bourbon toward her. "Drink. You'll feel better."

"I don't drink," she murmured, pushing it away.

He looked amused. "I see you've yet to learn about the pleasures that bourbon can bring."

"Oh, I know perfectly well about all that. I've seen plenty of memories of people having a good time with it. I just don't want to rely on that to feel good."

"Then what do you rely on to make you feel good, love?"

She shrugged. "I haven't found a proper hobby yet. I don't know what I might like." She raised an eyebrow at him, deciding she might as well interrogate him too. "What's your hobby?"

"Painting," he said, his voice softer than usual, indicating to her that he didn't always tell people about that. "Just... art. Here and there."

She perked up. "I want to see."

He bit his lip. "I don't have any of my artwork with me. It's stored elsewhere. Closer to Mystic Falls. I didn't intend to move it until I found the right place for it."

"Will I be held prisoner at that new place? Just so I know whether I'll be seeing your art or not."

Klaus laughed dryly, taking a swig from the bourbon. "You, my little werewitch, are no prisoner."

"How am I not? I'm not exactly here off my own accord. I'm here because you kidnapped me and you want to make hybrids, and somehow, I got lucky enough to find benefit in the trip, even if it was awful."

He leaned back in his chair and extended his arms. "You're not bolted to the wall, love," he noted. "Your lips aren't glued together, as horrible as it is to hear you speak."

Esmeray growled. "You're the one begging for me to talk to you even though I told you I feel ill. I suppose one does get lonely after betraying everyone around you."