Chapter 20

Over the next few days, Esmeray felt good.

She went on runs every morning with Elena, who showed no hostility towards her, and appreciated her company, since she had had a man following her one day, and it had made her nervous. In the afternoons, she trained with Alaric and Damon at Alaric's apartment, since he had a punching bag.

She had still been speaking to Anya, after telling her about Damon. Anya was quite understanding, letting her know she still wanted them to be friends, and was willing to wait if, in the future, Esmeray was available.

This particular morning, Esmeray had come with Damon to bother Alaric while he was grading.

"I give you both a choice," said Damon after he had several alcohol bottles arranged in front of him. "Bloody Mary or Screwdriver. Brunch in a bottle." Since Alaric was busy and Esmeray didn't drink, neither of them made a selection. "Come on, I can't drink all this by myself. I mean, I can, but then... somebody's getting naked." He looked at the bartender across from them, who smiled back, but shook her head.

"Sorry, honey," the blonde said. "I swing the other way."

"Even better!" said Damon, putting his hands on Esmeray's shoulders. "She swings multiple ways, even into the cooking utensil category."

The bartender smirked at Esmeray, and winked. "You know where to find me," the blonde said before walking off to the side.

Damon groaned when even after that moment, neither Esmeray or Alaric accepted a drink. "I can't believe you two are making me drink alone," he complained. "Why do I call you my best friends?"

"I'm busy," said Alaric, gesturing to the papers in front of him.

"It's the eve of Klaus-ageddon," said Damon, nudging Esmeray with his hip. "And you're doing homework?"

Alaric looked up at him in annoyance. "This may come as a shock but I am not here to hang out with you. I'm here to see Jeremy. Who is an hour late for his shift."

"Kids today," sighed Damon, tickling Esmeray and making her giggle. "Where are their values?"

Alaric slid a stapled piece of paper toward them, with the title "American History 201." It had a big red 'F' on it. "That's his midterm paper," Alaric explained. "Copied it straight off the Internet. Didn't even try to hide it."

Esmeray winced. "Yikes."

"Somebody's getting grounded," teased Damon.

The bartender had returned by then, and she furrowed her brows. "Did you say you're waiting for Jeremy, as in— Jeremy Gilbert?" When Alaric nodded, she gave them all a sympathetic smile. "He was fired last week."

"Shit," muttered Esmeray, looking back to where Bonnie and Elena were talking at a nearby table. "Who wants to be the one to break the news?"

"Should probably be me," said Alaric, grabbing at all his papers. "Need to be a responsible guardian at least once..."

Damon put his arm around Esmeray. "Meanwhile, let's stay far from the nuclear explosion that's about to happen, and play some darts."

"I hate playing darts," said Esmeray bluntly as he led her off to the side.

"Exactly! That allows me to win every time." He gathered some darts before beginning to throw them. "So, how come you didn't immediately ask for that bartender's number? You let her walk off!"

"I'm not going to ask for her number when you're here," Esmeray told him, crossing her arms. "I don't want you cracking jokes. I can do it another day. Learn more about her first. She's cute, but she's also human, and I feel... worried I'll hurt her. If magic bursts out of me..."