Chapter 3 | The Iron Lady

Somewhere deep inside of me, I believed that Mama was just like us, a human. Someone that loves us children. Mama was never kind. It's all an act to feed us to the demons.

"She's neither our mother nor a human... She's a demon, an enemy!!"

***

All of the kids were doing different chores around the house and outside.

We have to find a way to escape with everyone by then.

"A transmitter... I never thought she would go that far..." Emma sighed.

"The human meat from this farm..."

"Top-of-the-line stuff, huh..." Maiko trailed off.

"But... We are top-of-the-line stuff?! Enough for them to go to such lengths?"

"The key to our value is, our age and our scores." Emma said.

"Another six-year-old. Just the usual." Extrapolating from what the demons said, we can assume that our age most likely has determines the meat's rank. If I recall correctly, all those who were shipped off were between six and twelve. And if six years old is the usual, then the top-of-the-line must be..." Norman trailed off.

"Twelve years old!" Emma exclaimed.

"Then, what about our scores?" (Y/N) wondered aloud.

"I'm not as amazing as you guys..." Conny's words rang through their heads.

"It's the shipping order!" Maiko snapped her fingers.

"We weren't told our scores unless we got a perfect score. That's why we never noticed... Probably..." The (h/c) haired girl trailed off.

"Prepare the five with full scores for the imminent plucking."

"Once we turn six, we get harvested in ascending order of our scores. And once we turn twelve years old we get shipped regardless of our score." Norman explains.

"So basically our shipment got postponed because of our perfect scores?" Emma asked.

"I still don't get it though, why rank us by score? And is there any meaning behind the 6-12 age window?" Maiko wondered.

"The size of our body?" Emma questioned.

"No, that can't be it... They'd care more about body weight in that case." Maiko pointed out.

"The size of our brains."

"Huh?" The three girls looked over at Norman.

"It's the brain! It's said that the human brain is developed for 90% by the age of six. Others also hold that by twelve it's completely developed... They're after our brains." Norman put his fingers at his left temple.

"That means..." Emma trailed off.

"The brain must be the most delicious. And a well-developed brain even more so!" Maiko said.