Chapter 27 | I Want To Live

"Norman... Is gonna get shipped out?"

The kids all stared at Isabella. (Y/n) then glanced down at Emma who was laying on the ground, her leg wrapped in a white bandage with a stick under it.

"Mama... What happened to Emma's leg?" Ray asked, seeming to notice it as well.

Isabella smiled. It wasn't a kind one, it was a wicked one.

"It's completely broken. In fact, I was the one who broke it." She replied calmly.

Ray glared angrily at Isabella, as did Maiko while Gilda and Don appeared shocked at her words. (Y/n) stared at Emma's leg, then she looked at Isabella. She kept repeating this for a while. Isabella seemed to notice the anger and concern on the faces of her children so she quickly said,

"Don't worry. I broke it cleanly, so it'll heal perfectly and completely with time. But she has to stay in bed for a while. I'd say at least a month or two." Isabella then smiled up at Ray. "I hope she'll heal before your birthday, Ray!"

"This bitch!" Ray thought.

Isabella then grabbed Emma who was incapable of moving and held her closely.

"Norman... Make sure to hand that bag over to me as well." Isabella said.

"Our ropes!" Don and Gilda thought in horror.

Isabella stood up, holding Emma in her arms.

"Now, children. Let's all head back to the house!" She said happily.

***

The children stopped playing immediately as they saw Isabella walk up to the house with Emma in her arms. Ray, Gilda, Don, Norman, (Y/n), and Maiko were following slowly behind her. The children began to surround Isabella to see what was wrong.

"Woah..." Thoma muttered as he pointed to Emma's leg.

"Emma?" Phil asked, his head tilted to the side.

***

All of the children, except for Ray, Maiko, Don and Gilda had gone inside. Emma was in the infirmary, (Y/n) had insisted to stay by Emma's side, Norman was also with the two girls. The four kids remaining outside were sitting at the well where they would get water from. The wooden cover was over it, Ray was sitting on top of the wooden cover while Don was sitting against the side of the brick well, his back pressed against it. Gilda stood off a bit to the side and Maiko sat against one of the trees that was near the well.

"She took our ropes... Norman's about to get shipped... Emma has a broken leg and can't move... The plan was for us to complete the investigation and prepare to escape soon... But what now?!" Don exclaimed.

He rested his head in his hands.

"We'll make sure Emma's leg gets better as quickly as possible. We can make new ropes, too. We'll manage to escape, and I'll make sure we do! But right now, we need to focus on Norman." Ray said.

Maiko nodded in agreement.

"But why...why Norman, of all people? It's not like they found out about our plan, right?" Gilda wondered aloud.