Chapter 41 | The Snakes of Alvapinera

A demon walked on all fours, searching the area around the forest.

"They've gone down into the forest." It said,

"We were too late. Down below is where the vampiric trees grow. And I hear that wild inferior species have also been prowling about recently. We cannot have them eaten by those other than us. Do you know which direction they went?" The leader of the search asked.

"Yes. Straight to the southeast." One of the tracker demons said.

***

"One of the two special books of Mr. Minerva. The one with the morse code for "Promise". It's called "The Adventures of Ugo". The hero of the story is Ugo. And with his partner, Marvine the lemur, they travel the unexplored regions of the world. It's an adventure novel." Maiko thought.

She held the book in her hands and quickly flipped through the pages.

"It's this! I read it in this book!" Maiko said.

Emma and (Y/n) looked over her shoulders.

"It's that part about the snakes!" (Y/n) reminded Maiko.

Maiko groaned in annoyance. "Where was it? Hold on, I'll find it..."

A lightbulb seemed to go off in Ray's mind.

"Wait, are you talking about...the Snakes of Alvapinera?" He questioned.

"Yeah, that!" Emma exclaimed, pointing at him.

---

The cave in the ocean, Alvapinera, was a nest of terrifyingly poisonous snakes. Countless snakes that looked like an intertwined bundle of roots...acted as if they were one creature...spread across the walls. The brilliance of the jewels by my feet were frighteningly beautiful. Were the snakes protecting the treasures? Or was it bait to lure prey like us here?

- Expert from The Adventures of Ugo, chapter three, "The Snakes of Alvapinera"

---

"See? Look at the similarities." Maiko said after she read the passage in the novel.

"A cave. Jewels. Snakes." She listed off. "It was about this tree! This adventure novel is a manual for surviving in the outside world!"

Emma and (Y/n). nodded.

"Come on, Maiko. There may be similarities, but..." He trailed off.

He thought about the girl's words. Thinking them over.

"No. You might be right." He said.

Maiko rolled her eyes and scoffed. "Of course I'm right."

Ray was about to say something before (Y/n) butted in.

"Let's test it out!" She said.

"If it's the same as the book, the roots come after us by..." Emma trailed off.

Maiko shut the book and turned to the kids.

"Everyone, can you stay back a little?"