Chapter 18 | Resolve

"IT'S MAMA!! WHAT NOW?! Is she here...because she noticed that her key is missing? Or is she just here for something else? Which is it?!" Don wondered, panic spreading through him.

"Stay calm... What would those five do if they were in our shoes? Emma...you guys..." Gilda's eyes widened as she realized something.

"What if they're not actually telling us the truth?"

"Come to me if your gut tells you that Emma's lying to you!" Sister Krone's words rang through Gilda's mind.

"Is it really all just a hoax?! Are Conny and the others actually... I'M WRONG!! That's definitely not something Emma would do to us!" Gilda assures herself.

"Let's get out of here." Don says.

"Yeah!" Gilda agrees.

"It's entirely possible that right now, Mama hasn't noticed a thing yet. We've got to be silent, swift and stealthy!" Gilda thought.

"Let's go!" Don said.

The two of them then climbed out of the trapdoor.

***

"But man... Ray doesn't surprise me, since he's always got his nose stuck in a book since we were little...and Maiko always reads that adventure book that William Minerva had originally owned..." Norman trailed off.

"But to think Emma was able to decode that hidden message!" Ray slyly grinned.

"Actually, it wasn't me!" Emma tells them.

"Huh?"

"I wasn't the one who discovered the code. Phil was actually the one that pointed it out to me and then I showed (Y/N)." Emma says.

"...Phil?" Norman asked.

"Yup! He just so happened to be reading one of Mr. Minerva's picture books...and that particular book just so happened to be a book on Morse Code. So after that happened, I got curious and went to check all the other books." Emma explains.

"You know, that actually makes sense now." Maiko says.

"Hold up. What are you trying to imply?" Emma asks the girl, a smile on her face.

Maiko gives her a little smile back. "I meant, no offen-"

Their eyes widened as they reached the dining room, two of the other oldest children weren't there.

"Wait... Where's Don and Gilda?" (Y/N) asked.

"We're gonna go help set up for dinner." I clearly remember him saying that!" Emma thought, panic began to bubble inside of her.

"They're not here either!" Norman called from the kitchen doors where he checked for them.

"It can't be...!!"

***

Mama's eyes narrowed as she opened the door to her office. She smiled softly as she saw the little figure standing in front of her.