Chapter 22 | Maiko's Secret

Maiko was laying down in her bed. She watched the hands of the clock move as the sound of the ticking clock rang throughout the mostly quiet room. Maiko threw the covers over her head and tried closing her eyes, hoping she'd eventually fall asleep. But with all of the thoughts running through her head, the escape, upcoming investigation, the chat she, Norman, (Y/N), and Emma had with Sister Krone, she found no luck.

"Great." She thought.

She sat up in her bed, threw the covers off of her, flinching as the cool air hit her legs. She stood up, slipped on her slippers and quietly made her way out of the bedroom.

***

She walked into the dining room, a glass cup in her hand, which she grabbed from the kitchen. She walked over towards the sink and filled it up. She then chugged the water and breathed heavily. After, she walked to the kitchen and placed the glass in the sink before heading back into the dining room. Just as she was about to open the doors, someone else opened them. It was Isabella. She looked down and noticed Maiko. She smiled.

"Ah... Perfect. I actually wanted to talk with you, Maiko. Would you please come with me?"

Isabella walked out and Maiko started to follow behind her, curious.

"Maybe I could get some more information..." She thought.

She and Isabella walked towards her office, Isabella opened the door and she walked in. The woman closed the door behind Maiko before she walked up to her desk and sat down in the chair.

"So, Mama, what do you want to talk about?" The girl asked.

Isabella chuckled, the sound sent a shiver down the young girl's spine.

"Now, now, Maiko. Why don't we drop the act."

Maiko tensed at her words, her face fell from a curious expression to one of stone.

"Fine. What do you want?"

Isabella smiled. "I just thought it'd be a good time to tell you this, since you already know the truth about this house." Mama gestured around the room at the word "house".

Maiko quirked her brow and nodded, as a way of telling her to "go ahead and spit it out".

Isabella stood up and walked towards the bookshelf behind her, grabbing a file from it and placing it down on the surface of her desk. She opened it, flipped through the different papers that were inside before she pulled one out of the stack and slid it across the desk. Maiko walked up to take it. She opened the file to the first page, it read:

Name: Maiko

Identification Number: 46194

It then listed her height, weight, hair colour, etc. Maiko looked up at the woman.

"Why are you showing me this?" She questioned, her eyes narrowing in suspicion.

"Keep reading." Isabella said and gestured down to the file.

Maiko rolled her eyes and began reading it. After a while of staring at a particular part, her eyes widened and the paper hit the ground, Maiko's right hand flew to cover her mouth as the girl backed up, her face pale. Isabella smiled, it was a sinister grin. She stood up from her chair and made her way over to Maiko. She bent down behind her and put her hands on the girl's shoulders. Maiko was trembling.