Chapter 9 | Let's Play a Game of Tag

"What? Why?"

Ray stood with the others, the kids that had gotten out from the first game behind him.

"I want to become friends with everyone! Let's play a game of tag!" Sister Krone smiled.

"Did she come just to get in our way? Or maybe to investigate us?" Ray whispered.

"No worries, she won't be able to find anything." Norman whispers back.

"I really don't think we should trust her." Maiko whispered.

"We're just playing a game of tag, albeit a complex one. She can't do anything to stop our fun." Norman whispers back.

"Don't be scared. How would I act if I was oblivious to the situation? I would've been super excited. Smile, Emma! That's right."

"This is our chance! A chance to get to know our enemy!" Emma exclaims.

"Yep, that's right."

"The time limit is 20 minutes. I will be it. Everybody, make sure you get away from me!" Krone told them.

"5..."

"6..."

"7..."

"8..."

"9..."

"10."

"Alright. I've been wondering about these kids in the forest." Krone said. "It's been 10 days since I came here. So far I've been a loyal watchdog. Day and night, I've been observing these children at my assigned posts. Nothing more. But I can't stay still any longer! It's simply humiliating! That woman always has her guard up...and she doesn't trust me one bit! But today I've finally found a way through her! First I have to conduct a little test. Isabella isn't going to tell me anything about the possible targets."

-Flashback-

All we have to do is keep them from escaping before shipment day. The children are special. This is something that impacts the prestige of this farm."

-Flashback End-

"But going from what she said, I can make an educated guess on who they might be. If I remember correctly, those full score kids have the next closest shipping date. Let's see how competent those kids really are! I'll definitely expose the target, and steal Isabella's position!!" Sister Krone ran into the woods.

***

"Let's see, how will the enemy move? We're playing with this many children but she gave herself a time limit of 20 minutes. She'll probably come looking for us first. She must be targeting us, the six oldest children. Her plan must be to find us first, and then go find the rest of the rest of our siblings along the way." Norman said.

***

"That'll be my plan." Sister Krone stopped running.

It was dead quiet in the forest, the only sound being the wind blowing through the leaves.

"Huh? This is strange. I can't seem to find any traces..."