02

6 Months Later

Jalanee Coleman | 19Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

I buttoned up my blouse, as my fingers were sweating. I looked in the mirror.

Today was my first day as an official therapist. I graduated from LSU, top of my class, I got a perfect score on my psychology professional practice exam. My parents were beyond proud of me. I'm beyond nervous,but this is what I been praying for since forever.

I got a new apartment East of Baton Rouge Parish. My life finally seemed like it was coming together.

Tysheem stayed with me the whole summer, and he had just left me last week because he had to start school. My baby brother was a senior in high school. it's about time.

The loud ding from my phone, took me back to reality. I had multiple messages from my parents and my sister.

kayla💕

good luck on your day big head. i love you and call me later and tell me about your day <3

I smiled and quickly replied with a thanks and assured her I was going to call her later. i then slid to my moms message.

mama dukes❤️

my baby is finally a therapist. we talked about this since you were in the fifth grade, me and your dad are proud of you baby. you better put on for the city girl!

I laughed and reacted to her message. I put my phone in my purse, and took out my lipgloss and applied some to my lip and walked to my 2019 bmw x5 that my parents got me not to long ago.

I had gotten my first job at a wellness center. I would be working with mostly adults. I was young but I was well trained to be a therapist and i wouldn't let anyone take that from me.

Music played lowly in my car,trying to ease my nerves.

Kentrell Gaulden | 20
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
11AM

I jumped out of my bed feeling cold water and ice cubes being thrown on me. as soon as i got up, i heard sets of heavy feet running down the steps.