Mom?

1 week ago

The rusted main gate unlocked some of my memories. I stood back to behold the old bungalow where I had spent half of my life but why I don't want to enter it? I turn around to see sun shining on a whole new world that has built around the house and feel distant.
Without giving much thought about how I would face her, I pushed the gate open cause if I did gave it a thought I wouldn't even be standing here at first.
The grass in the lawn had grew wild and barely showed the way to the door. The possibility that she had moved out, popped in my mind. But this house was the only good thing we had. I proceeded to ring the bell anticipating some noise from inside. I heard the door unlocking and my heart raced. But soon I realized it was the neighbor.

"Y/n? Is that you?" A familiar voice asked.

I turned around to see the aged women. I remember her and her family but failed to recall her name given the fact that I barely got along with anybody in the neighborhood.

"I was right, it's really you. I saw you dancing in the T.V. My granddaughter keeps playing you and some boys dancing on the T.v everyday. I told her that you were just another girl who lived here but she never believes me. Wait let me call her, Jia!! Come, see. Y/n is here!

"Excuse me, but do you know where's my mom?"

"In the hospital, you didn't knew. She's in the hospital for months."

"What! Why?"

"I have no idea."

"Which hospital?!"

I noted the address and dashed off towards the main road to catch a taxi.

"Stop lying, grandma." I hear behind me.
_____________________________________

"Excuse me, in which room is Mrs L/n?" I ask between my breath.

"What is the full name of the patient?"

I tell the receptionist the details with my heart beating out of my chest.

"What's your relation with the patient?"

"I'm her daughter."

"ICU 4"

Rattled by those four words, I rushed to find the ICU ward.

"Ma'am you need to wear this before you enter." A man stopped me.

"But my mom is inside! I need to go!"

"We can't let you enter without this."

I took the surgical mask and gown and wore it.

As soon as got pass the door unsettling cool air surrounded me with the sickening medical smell. Though I ran all the way here but my feet won't move an inch forward in case all the horrid thoughts of mine will come true. 10 steps took me to reach the blue curtain but 5 years to come here, only to meet her at a place like this.
I slided the curtains and saw a fragile body laying on the bed, I advance forward at each beep of the monitor. It's hard to recognize the face as it is covered with oxygen mask but how could I forget those eyes which are now shut. Her one wrinkly arm out of the sheets injected with needle and what not. My hands reached for her hands as tears drop down my eyes.

Another hand grabbed my hand before it could reach her's.
"Mom has just fallen asleep. Please let her sleep." A feminine voice spoke.

I turned my gaze to the person to see a set of hazel eyes above the mask.

I take back my hand from her fingers.
"Mom? Who are you to call her that?"

"Let's talk outside, shall we?"
She whispered glancing at mom.

She proceeded to walk outside while I didn't wanted to leave mom alone. But this strange woman concerned me more.

I followed her outside the door until we reached a quiet spot.

"So, you finally came. Mom would always ask for you."

"Who are you calling Mom?! I'm her only daughter!"

"Aah, sorry I forget to introduce myself."
A admiral face with a gracious smile shows up when she removes the mask.

"I am Suran, your sister in law."

"Wait. What? Are you really Leo's wife? No- I mean- I mean Why?" I couldn't digest the fact that this sophisticated woman is that man's wife. I rub my temple in confusion and anger.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I am worried about you. Are you OKAY?"

"Yes, I am perfectly fine." She chuckles at little.

"Do you even know the man you have married?!"

Suddenly I feel a hand on my shoulder and I flinch at the voice.
"What are you both talking about?"

"Nothing, honey. Y/n's just asking me if I am alright."

Leo stands besides me with his hand around my shoulder.
"And why wouldn't she be?"
I could feel his burning eyes at me but I kept mine forwards.

"I...I..j-just thought she looks skinny that.. that's why."

"Honey, why don't you take her home. She seems shocked right now. Go have some food both of you. I will stay with mom until then."

"Did you eat?" He moves away from me to his wife.

"Yes."

"Okay then. Good bye."

"Byee."

He kisses her goodbye.

"See you later Y/n"
I smile back at her innocent smile as we walk away.
I silently followed Leo around the parking lot to his car. He opened the gate and got seated and I too couldn't do anything else than the same.

"Let's talk Y/n." He said in a dead serious tone and I heard the child lock clicking in.

Author's note

Please note, here 'Suran' is not the kpop singer Shin Su-ran. But her character is influenced by Shim Su- ryeon from 'Penthouse' kdrama.

Don't forget to vote and let me know your thoughts in the comments.
↘️