23. Unyielding Min (UPDATED)

——

As it turned out, poison wasn't the only thing Rui was capable of.

In a moment where Qin Yu's sword was finally about to plunge through Rui's scales there was an explosion of dark energy from Rui's body.

This energy was dark and had an eerie-unnerving feel to it. Qin Yu jumped back avoiding the explosion but his hands came in contact with that energy and immediately dark purple veins could be seen reaching up his arms.

He felt a sharp pain burst through both his hands and his sword dissipated, that's when he realised what the dark energy was:

Corrupted spirit.

(A/N: which I will also refer to as dark energy or just corruption though I tend to call it corruption when it's in a highly concentrated form)

Corrupted spirit was Ifvnars specialty, this was what truly made it a hazardous place for humans. Humans were absolutely incapable of absorbing corrupted spirit, the plants in Ifvnar all contained this corrupted spirit.

When a human came in contact with corrupted spirit, if it was minimal they could survive by pushing the corrupted spirit out with their own internal spirit, sometimes they'd have to seek help from others.

If the amount of corrupted spirit taken in was large then it would get to a point where there was no saving them because the corrupted spirit would conflict with their own causing them great pain till the internal conflict eventually ripped them apart from inside, killing them.

If it didn't kill them then it would cause Erosion instead, it would eat away at their own spirit slowly, leaving them weak powerless and finally unable to even move, like a paralytic poison slowly taking over their bodies. But this case was rare.

The best option was to have the dark energy removed immediately.

Unlike humans, animals wouldn't die from the corrupted spirit. They'd turn into 'night creatures'.

But even that evolution would take a lot of corrupted spirit so they'd normally just run wild, becoming more aggressive and dangerous, this also meant that they naturally became poisonous to humans too.

When compared to regular animals, a legendary beast had a higher chance of becoming a night creature. Though even that depended on how much corrupted spirit they took in and even their compatibility with it, that's why when Lee Hyunjin used Ifvnar plants to season fish for min she could eat it and nothing happened and if he'd paid attention he'd have realised that they were specific plants she'd eat especially when she was pregnant and kept stuffing herself with them.

Night creatures could use corrupted spirit since they had assimilated it this also meant they would certainly be at an advantage within ifvnar which had abundant corrupted spirit.

After seeing Rui's attack that used corrupted spirit, Qin Yu was certain that this legendary beast, Rui, had become a night creature as well. Night creatures didn't have any exact distinctive features but once they used corrupted spirit then that was enough proof of identity. But where did it find enough corruption to turn it into one?
Even if Ifvnar was full of it, there had to be a source of pure corruption (not from plants) to have transformed a creature of that size.

Min who had only ever seen Rui use poison whenever they fought was surprised and she quickly realised that her and Qin Yu were at a major disadvantage especially with Minju present. Being the smart beast she was she quickly came up with a plan.

It seemed Rui hadn't been taking the two of them seriously at all and was once again toying with them but it must've felt pressured when Qin Yu's sword nearly dug into his scales since he went as far as using corrupted spirit.