𝟷𝟽

SALVAGE YARD

"Pope we are not stealing the drone, we are borrowing it" John b drives the bus to the salvage yard.

"Humans are the only animals that can't tell fantasy from reality" Pope explains, sitting in the back with JJ and me. JJ rolls a joint.

"Wait, did you come up with that?"

"Albert Bernstein came up with that, but it applies to this whole treasure-hunting thing".

"So, which is it?" Pope turns to John b. "Fantasy, or reality?"

"Why are you so weird, Pope?" the blond questions.

"It's fantasy, but possible reality" Kiara replies, looking over at John b.

"Reality" smiles John b.

"Virtual reality" mumbles JJ, lighting his joint. Pope gives me a little smirk and I flick the joint out of JJ's hand in response.

"Keep the signal clear" Pope says with a smile, and JJ gives us both an annoyed look. We then stop and get off the bus.

"You know what your problem is?" asks JJ.

"You?" replies Pope.

"No! It's that you need to relax, man. You're always so tense!"

"I mean, he's right about that." I murmur in agreement.

"I'm not too tense!"

"Hey, Kie!" I give the girl a small smile. "Keep the man busy."

"I will!" laughs Kiara back.

The plan is for Kiara to distract security while we somehow get the drone.

"still don't understand why she's doing this, I mean you're way hotter than her" JJ mumbles to me.

"Um, because you wouldn't let me?" I look at the boy with a questioning look.

"Right..." JJ turns to John b. We hide, waiting for security to come out. "How's it going with Kiara?"

"It's not awkward, weird, or anything" John b replies wryly.

"Honestly, I didn't think you were actually gonna listen to me." smiles JJ.

"Yeah, because it's best no one listens to you" JJ lightly nudges me in response.

"What?" whispers John b.

"I was 100 percent sure that she was into you, man.... Pope would agree"

"Ehh..." Pope shakes his head slightly.

"So, like, Kie, she, like, definitely gave you the Heisman?" JJ turns back to John b.

"Oh, no question. Yup," nods John b.

"Gotcha." chuckles JJ.

"Maybe she's just into somebody else" says Pope we all turn to him, giving him a confused look.

"Go, go, go, go!" the four run in as fast as they can while security is still out. JJ tries to open the lock with the code he has written on a piece of paper.

"Do you have the right numbers?" asks Pope.

"All right, so I might have the wrong numbers." JJ notes.

"Goooood." I sigh.

"Ah, damn it!" exclaims Pope as a dog comes running.

"Oh! Hey! Hey, hey" says JJ to the dog as John b runs away.

"That's a cougar. Never mind."

"No, stay there! Good boy. No, you're okay" JJ runs off to distract the dog I run after him.