𝟹𝟷

SARAH

"No effing way!" says Kiara, pacing back and forth on the porch. Meanwhile, JJ and I come out of the chateau, out onto the porch, and sit down next to Pope as if nothing had happened.

"Em, your top is hanging.....a little too high." Pope whispers to me.

"What?- oh..." I quickly pull down my top, and JJ glances over at me for a moment. That was embarrassing.

"Don't tell me you guys have-"

"No! No chill, Pope, I was in the shower!" I say. Which is actually true, because JJ just left briefly to pick up Pope. And then we turn our attention back to Kiara.

"You brought her here? So what? She's in on this now?" Kiara looks upset at John b, next to whom Sarah Cameron is sitting on the couch.

John b looks helplessly over at Pope. "I dunno." he mumbles, shrugging his shoulders.

"Look-" JJ points to himself. "-all I care about is her cut comes out of your share." JJ points to the two on the couch.

"Of course you do." I smile.

"You know, I don't remember taking a vote. This is our thing. A Pogue thing." Kiara takes a deep breath.

"I gotta say, I'm just a tad uncomfortable with all of this." Pope declares himself, to us.

"Thank you!" says Kiara.

"When are you not uncomfortable?" John b shrugs, casting his gaze to Pope.

"I dunno. I rode here on the back of JJ's bike pretty comfortably." Pope replies.

"That's true. Most relaxed I've ever seen him." JJ adds.

"That's cute, guys." John b admits.

"well, I was feeling better before you brought her here, too." I comment.

"You know, we were all extremely comfortable until you brought her." Kiara looks over at Sarah.

"stop talking about me like I'm not here!" replies Sarah. "Then leave." suggests Kiara seriously.

Sarah scoffs. "I told you." she brings her gaze over to John b.

"Told him what, exactly? That you're a liar?"

"No, that you're a shit-talking bitch." Sarah snaps.

"oh, shut the hell up, bitch!" I then add.

"Oh, shit!" mumbles Pope. JJ pulls a few bills out of his back pocket and holds them up as Kie and Sarah snarl at each other.

"My money's on Mia." mumbles JJ.

I don't really have a problem with Sarah. I don't want to pretend to have one, either. It's just a matter of principle. If she offends Kie, I defend her. And knowing how her brother is, I just can't believe she's a good person.

"Everybody shut up!" shouts John b. "Kie, you are my best friend, right?" John b turns to Sarah.
"And Sarah you're..." he chuckles.
"You're my..." John b shrugs.

"Say it." Sarah mumbles.

"You're my girlfriend."

"Ohh... that's new." mumbles Pope.

"This is going to be fun." I sigh.

"She's your girlfriend now? What was all that talk about you were just using her for information? Get a map, cut her loose." asks Kiara.

"You said you were using me?" Sarah looks slightly horrified at John b.

"No." he mumbles.

"Yeah, you did." Kiara replies.

"You did." mumbles JJ.

"You said those things." finishes Pope.

"Look, love just walked in, okay?" defends John b.

"Oh, vomit." Kiara laughs.

"I didn't expect it. It just-it kind of happened." he turns to Sarah. "And I'm not gonna deny it. Right?"

"Oh! That's corny." whispers Pope.

"Look, cut the bullshit, John b. If she's in, I'm out." Kiara declares.

"Kie, I'm not doing this. I can't."

"You are gonna decide. I'm very interested, actually. Me or her?"

"Both." answers John b directly.

"Oooh..." grumbles Pope.

I know, this was a hard one for Kie.

"Went for the Hail Mary." JJ whispers as Kie walks away.

"It'll be cool, right?" Sarah stands up. "I'm gonna leave."

"Sarah, don't." John b mutters.

"Gonna let y'all chat. Let me know." Sarah walks off the porch, and John b sits on the sofa, somehow overwhelmed by the situation.

"I'd just like to say, you handled that beautifully." notes JJ, and I have to laugh slightly.

-----------—————-

"What'd she say?" John b tosses a water bottle to Pope, who is just entering the chateau. "That you're an idiot."

"Look, let me talk to her I-" I say but Pope interrupts me.

"it's useless, Em. She won't change her mind."

"It's a no-brainier. You're picking Kie." notes JJ.

"He's right. How long have you known Kie, please? What about Sarah? A few days?" I add.

"mm-mm." mumbles John b. "Look, I can't make a decision."

"So what? We're just dead in the water because you're pussy-whipped?" JJ shrugs. "We can't do this without Kie, and you know it."

"And I can't do it without Sarah. Okay? They both have to be in on it." John b replies.

"Well, good luck with that." Pope makes his way to the refrigerator.

"You know what?" John b hops down from the counter. "I know this was my fault, all right? But it's our problem. I've got a plan. And you three shitheads are gonna help me out."