𝟺𝟷

F O O L E D

"So we melt the gold and then what?" I ask JJ as we stand in front of the chateau. Kiara and Sarah sit on the bus, looking at the drawing of the well that Pope drew. And Pope and John b take care of the rope.

"Well, let's go to a pawnshop and sell that shit, baby." JJ smiles at me. "Come on." he waves me over and walks to the bus.
"Kie! This better work." he throws the gold bars on the floor of the bus.

"Yeah we can't pawn this if there's a giant wheat symbol on it." I add.

"It's gonna work." she says, holding up a Bunsen burner.

---------------

"Hell of a job melting it down, Dr. Frankenstein." says JJ who is just getting off the bus. John b has just stopped the bus in front of a pawnshop.

"Like you could've done any better." she replies.

"I could have done much better. I took a welding class." explains JJ. I look confused at the boy. I know, for a fact, he never took a welding class.

"You-- when?" Kiara shrugs at the boy, when John b goes up to them.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hey, hey. Sh!" he looks at the two arguing. "Chill out, okay?"

"that's easy for you to say. You're not the one that has to pawn this piece of shit off." JJ holds up the fused gold. "How did I get this job anyway?"

"'Cause you're the best liar." I wink at him.

————————

"So, I, uh..." the woman from the cash register comes back after supposedly conferring with her boss.
"I talked to my boss. And, uh, this is what I can do." she puts a piece of paper on the counter. JJ looks at the note, then up at the woman, raising his eyebrows.

"Fifty thousand? You think I walked in here not knowin' the spot price? Ma'am I know for a fact this is worth 140, at least." JJ points to the gold on the counter.

"Well, sweetie, you in a pawnshop. This ain't Zurich. Do I look Swiss to you?" the woman raises her eyebrows.

"Ninety, or I walk." says JJ scratching his forehead. He doesn't know himself what he's doing right now, or if it will work.

 He doesn't know himself what he's doing right now, or if it will work

"Seventy. Half price... and, um.... I don't ask questions about where you got this." the woman suggests. JJ looks over at John b for a moment, then turns back to the woman.

"I'm gonna need that in large denominations, please."

"Well, here's the snag. I don't have that much denominated, not here anyway. I can write you a cashier's check."

"Cash-...No, ma'am. I want the cold hard. That's what the sign says." JJ points to the sign on the wall. "Cash for gold. And that's what I expect. I'm gonna get it in cold hard."