𝟻𝟼

"he's pinched for sure, man," JJ mutters. He's standing at the door to the Wreck's patio. We slept there the night.

"no. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him." Pope explains.

"Let's just hope," I mutter.

"You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too." Kie shrugs.

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John b." Pope heads for the door.

"So, find him before they do?" asks JJ. "Pope?"

"I'm gonna get gas for the boat."

"Hey, you be careful." says Kiara to Pope. "Okay?"

But he ignores her and turns to the two of us. "Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late."

Kiara gives us a confused look, then goes after Pope, outside. "Okay, what is your problem?"

"No problem, officer. I'm just doing my job." he says, getting on JJ's bike.

"Look, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings."

But Pope starts the engine so he can't hear them. "What was that?"

"Look, I didn't mean to."

"Sorry, I can't hear you. What was that?" he says, then drives off.

"Pope, I'm trying to talk to you-"

I look up into the sky when I hear noises and see a helicopter flying. "What the hell?"

Don't tell me the FBI is looking for my brother now, too.

"You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" asks JJ as he packs food into a backpack for John B and Sarah.

"it wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation." explains Kiara.

"Guys, is this enough food for them?" i ask, concerned.

"I mean, for a couple of weeks, and that's all they need, so..." says JJ, pulling on his backpack.

"Look, guys, I think I actually hurt his feelings."

"Look, don't beat yourself up too much. He's completely changed his feels." JJ reassures.

"Yeah, he's right, Kie. But you still hurt him. He wasn't just weird Pope, okay?" i clarify.

Kie looks at me in concern, and then we walk out of the Wreck, on our way to get the key to the Phantom.

------

Kie stops the car in front of Jj's house. He hasn't been home in days. And he's scared, I can see that. He sits next to me, in the back of the car. As he looks out the window at his home, he gets tears in his eyes.

"Home sweet home," he says in a broken voice. I take his hand and squeeze it tightly.

"i'll come with you if you want, J." i say.

He shakes his head. "No, not after what he did to you."

"Should I?" asks Kiara from the driver's seat.

"No, this will only take a second." he gives me a quick look, a quick kiss, and then walks out.

"take care of yourself, babe. I love you." I call after him.

"I love you." he smiles, and walks into the house. I know for a fact that all that smiling is really just a cry for help.

A few minutes late, JJ comes running out of the house again. He sits down in the back with me again.