𝟸𝟺

THE WHOLE TRUTH

"Don't let it get in your head, brother. Three of them and two of us." Says JJ to Pope. We are at Heyward's.  "That's some typical Kook shit right there."

"Hell, yeah," mumbles Kie.

"What was your thought process, using your head?" JJ asks.

"I don't know, man. I just kind of acted off instinct, all right?" Explains Pope. "I was a cornered animal."

"Hey, Pope, someone here to see you." Heyward points to the officers coming into the store.

"Evening, officer." Says Pope nervously.

"JJ? Shit, JJ do you think-" I say but JJ interrupts me. "Easy, babe."

Since last night, we barely talked. JJ didn't try to apologise and me neither. I think we both just overreacted somehow.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property." Says the officer to Pope, who looks over at JJ in shock. Whereupon JJ mouths "deny, deny, deny".
"Hands where I can see 'em."

"Woah, Shoupe, what'd he do?" Asks Heyward.

"Take a look at the warrant." Shoupe handcuffs Pope.

"You just arrest my boy?" Says Heyward, upset.

"Hey, let him go!" I shout fearfully.

"Everything you say can and will be held against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney..."

"How much did they pay you, man?" JJ shouts angrily. The officer brings him out and everyone yells at him. JJ pushes the other officer aside and tries to get to Pope, but they hold him back.

"JJ" I sob. The boy looks at me for a moment, then at Shoupe.

"It wasn't him!" Cries JJ. I give him a shocked look.

"No, no, don't do that, JJ." I mutter.

"-it was me." JJ points at himself and moves closer to the officer. "He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad cause he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit." He now stands in front of Pope and Shoupe.

"Fuck" I nervously go through my hair.

"I can't let you take the blame for somtehin' I did. You're got too much to loose."

Pope looks at JJ completely confused, not believing what he is doing. "JJ, what are you doing?"

"I'm tellin' the truth. For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth. I took his old man's boat, too." Adds JJ.

"What the hell?" Says Heyward, overwhelmed.

"JJ, come on-" Pope tries to say.

"Just shut up, Pope! Just shut up." JJ directs his gaze over to the officer.
"He's a good kid. You know where I'm from."

"Yeah

"Yeah." Confirms Shoupe with a nod.

"This was all me."

"That's the whole truth?" Shoupe asks, looking at Pope.

"Whole truth, swear to God." Replies JJ.

"I know what you think, damn it, I'm asking Pope here."

Pope looks desperately at JJ, who gives him a slight nod. "Yeah, that about covers it." Confirms Pope. The officer handcuffs JJ.

"No, JJ!" I shout, with tears in my eyes, but the officer pushes JJ into the police car.

"Have some respect, officer!" Says Heyward to Shoupe. He then leaves JJ standing there for a moment. I run to him and hug him tightly.

"You're such an idiot." I cry on his shoulder.

"I know, Mia." JJ looks me in the eye.
His hands are behind his back, he can't hug me, can't touch me. He looks into my teary, red swollen eyes. And then he doesn't hesitate any further and leans in for a kiss. His lips gently touch mine, and I kiss him back without hesitation. My heart starts beating faster and I blush a bit but I enjoy the moment more than anything.

What did just happen?

Neither of us thought our real first kiss would be like this. Or that it would even exist, this way. Everyone around them is more than shocked, because I have just betrayed my boyfriend. And I know that, and I also know what Rafe will do to me if he finds out, so I lean back again, looking into those blue eyes.

We have no more words for each other. I don't know what to say and JJ is pushed into the car by the officer.