𝟺𝟾

"JJ?" I whisper softly to him. We're sitting on HMS Pogue, on our way to Tannyhill to find John b.

"Yeah?" He murmurs. I lay with my head on his lap.

"I can't do all that. I- I want to go home, I'm sure John b is there." I look up at JJ.

"I know, babe. But the others think he's here..."

"But- but I just found out that- that my dad, he's- he's dead. I know I always said I thought that, but actually knowing is different. I want to see my brother." Tears come to my eyes.

"We'll come back later, okay? But you don't want Pope and Kie to be there at a time like this? I'll take you home, and leave you two alone, okay Mia?" He smiles at me and goes through my hair.

"Yeah." I smile.

"What's going on with you two?" Kiara interrupts.

"What?" I ask.

"Well, the way you're lying there.... Em, what about Rafe?" She asks straight out.

"Um... well, we —we broke up." I mutter nervously.

"Babe you don't have to-"

"Did he just say babe?" A smile forms on Kiara's lips. Actually, JJ has always called me that before, but apparently it just seems different now.

"Yeah, I did." Smiles JJ.

"No way, you did it, man?" Pope laughs to JJ.

"Did what?" Kiara looks at us, confused.

"She's my girlfriend now." JJ smiles at me.

"Holy shit, I was wondering when this was finally going to happen." Laughs Kiara.

"Feels good to say it." Whispers JJ to me.

I smile up at JJ. He makes me happy, he really does. I've never felt this good before. But right now is somehow not the right time for this whole "you're together?" conversation. JJ notices this, I think, and so changes the subject.
We're now in front of the Cameron house, sitting on HMS Pogue.

"What now? We just go up to the front door and ask, "hey, have you seen John b?"" Says JJ.

"Look, he lives at Tannyhill now. It's plausible." Answers Kiara. "Look, we can play dumb."

"Play dumb?" Chuckles JJ.

"It's pretty late." Mumbles Pope.

"Look, I've never seen John b like that. We should honestly be going to the cops." Suggests Kiara.

"The cop- yeah, and say what, Kie?" JJ looks confused at Kiara. "We're worried about our friend because he's going off on a rampage because Ward Cameron killed Big John? Like, they're not gonna believe us!"

I look to JJ, shaking my head.

"So-sorry, I didn't mean to say it like that." He mutters.

Pope, meanwhile, grabs the binoculars and peers into the house. "Hey, I see Ward."

"Let me see." Kiara takes the binoculars from his hand and peers into the house as well.

"Doesn't look dead to me. Let's go home." Says Pope.

"Wait, what?" Kie turns to Pope.

"Uh... okay. Obviously, Mr. Cameron is fine, and even if John b was here, he isn't now, okay? Plus, i have the biggest, most important moment of my life in six hours. "

"Yeah, well, our friend is in trouble." Kiara shrugs.

"I'm in trouble." Pope shrugs as well. "Guys, I haven't been home in three days. My dad's probably put all my shit on the street by now."

"Okay, so that's it?" Kiara asks. "In a time of need you're just gonna bail? You're just gonna walk away?"

"Okay, yo, guys, can we not do this right now?" Sighs JJ.

"Hey, I have a scholarship interview in the morning. I can't-"

"Okay, well, what about John b?" Interrupts Kiara.

"Why is it always about John b?" Shouts Pope.

"It's not always about John b. You're so stupid. It would be any of you in this situation." Kiara points.

"Oh, bullshit!"

"Guys-" JJ tries to say but Kie interrupts him.

"This is about friendship!"

"Bring it down." Says JJ to the two of them.

"Pope." I say and stand up. "She's right. John b needs us. And he needs you. So cut the bullshit."

"Yeah you say that because he's your brother. What about my life? What I need?"

"Well, you didn't just find out Ward killed your dad, did you?" I yell, tears in my eyes.

"Oh, shut up. You can't use that as an excuse for everything. John b and his little innocent sister who lost their dad-"

"Pope, watch your mouth!" JJ stands up.

"All right, sorry! Didn't mean it." Murmurs Pope. I sit back down next to JJ, who gives me a hug.

"Look, this is about Pogues for life!" Kiara looks at JJ.

"What about forensic pathology, huh? It's my life. Everything I've worked for!" Pope points to himself.

"That's your priority?" Kiara moves closer to Pope.

"Just stop with the moral high ground bullshit!"

"Pope, come on." JJ tries to reassure his friend.

"No." Pope turns to JJ. "No, no. She has no room to talk." Then back to Kie. "Where were you when Big John went missing? You weren't there. You weren't there for John b. You weren't there for any of us. Remember your Kook year?"

"Dude" JJ looks to the two of them.

"Yeah. You forgot about us. And now you feel guilty."

"Give me a break!" Kiara shoves Pope away.

"Hey!" yells JJ.

"Is that what you need?" Shouted Kiara

"Come on." Says Pope as the two shove each other.

JJ stands up and rushes to the two "Hey! Yo, yo, yo, cut it out, all right? If I'm the one mediating, we've hit rock bottom." He looks to Pope. "Bow, now. Go! Pope I'll drop you off."

JJ starts the engine and drives off.